HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Robert Wilson -- "My Expert on Everything" -- Has Slipped Away

Last night around 10:30PM, the telephone rang. It was my sister-in-law, Kristi, calling Kim to let her know that their dad, Bob, my father-in-law and friend, had slipped away.

He was just past 77 years old.

Even though there is a great sense of sadness today, there comes with it a sense of deep relief that Bob has escaped the bondage of a body that has been very paralyzed for the past four years since his very severe stroke.

He was very much a one of a kind guy! I don't think I have ever met anyone in my life who lived his life so deeply committed to his family, his friends, and his life's work as an Allstate Insurance agent.

Always the competitor, he excelled at hockey throughout much of his younger life -- and this sense of competition carried over to his job as insurance agent when he consistently was the tops sales person for the company, winning awards and trips to Hawaii.

I owe him so much.

When we first bought the property upon which the little bungalow I call my office sits, Bob came down countless times to help me tear down the outside walls that were in need of replacing, and as with every other task he set his mind to, he gave his all to help me get it set right.

Kim and I both relied on his advice over the years as he always had the right answer to problems we faced.

He sought perfection to the point that it would sometimes drive me to distraction. In age, I fall in a generation between him and his daughter Kim, and many times, in all honesty, we would clash as he tended to treat me as another of his children, but it was all out of love, and therefore very acceptable.

I know that he really appreciated my talent as a performer. He was one of my biggest fans!

At his retirement party, I went up to Cumberland where he and Joy had a summer cottage, and I was in charge of feeding everyone my pizza and then we did a little "roast" after lunch.

I had written a song for him titled: "He's An Expert On Everything" -- and although there was some good natured "ribbing" in the verses, the truth is, Bob WAS an expert at anything he put his mind to. Try as I might, I could never find a tme when he was wrong about anything.

Bob loved the great outdoors. He spent countless hours fishing and hunting with his two closest friends, Alvin Wallin and Jim Gallup.

During the past couple of months I am glad to say that I got to know Alvin and Jim and their wives, as they were often at Bob's bed side when I came to visit and both are a testimony to what a good man Bob was!

So Robert has joined the communion of saints and we who loved him are left to carry on, Thank you, Bob, for who you were and all the love you showered upon those you loved so fervently. You are missed daily.

Please give my mom and dad a big hug!

______________________________________________________________

No comments: