HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Look Out Mr. Wood Chuck -- I'm Armed And Almost Dangerous

Several years ago I purchased an Italian made "Old West" type revolver which sat in my bed room drawer untouched, unfired. It was cumbersome, unwieldy, and not the most practical.
So yesterday, I traded it for this Smith and Wesson .22 long rifle semi-automatic, It fires 10 rounds per clip and came with two clips. Looking at it again today, however., it does look like an air gun doesn't it?

I have been practicing "field stripping" it -- over and over again -- as I am not exactly a rocket scientist. In fact, the first time I tried to break it down, the spring came flying out and I had no idea how to get it back together again, even following the manual directions.

So I had to drive back to Scheels with it, all the while hearing my father's voice in my head telling me the same thing he did when I was a kid: "You'll get it apart, but you'll never get it back together again."

The sales guy and I worked on putting it back together and then tore it apart, and went through all the steps several times. I am looking forward to the time when I am proficient enough in assembly/disassembly so that I can target shoot a bit with it.

I have a wood chuck living under the office -- he returns each spring and his burrow is under the bath room. It is rather disconcerting to hear varmint noises while you are sitting on the toilet. I will start carrying the Smith and Wesson in hopes of catching him out in the open!

_________________________________________________________

No comments: