HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, May 4, 2008

"The Owls" Celebrate Their Seventieth Birthdays in Grand Style

So of course, I forgot to take my camera with me so I don't have any pictures of the wonderful soiree that my former student and great friend Kurt Weber threw for his mother Judy and her four best friends.

Kurt went all out and rented the Mabel Tainter Theatre for the occasion. When Judy Williink, who also performed, and I arrived around 11AM, there was a graciously set table, complete with very tall candles. champagne glasses,and all the acoutrement you would find at a very fine restaurant, all right there on stage.


Kurt has a very good eye for decoration.

This now 70 year old group of women have been friends nearly all their lives and several flew in from the far reaches of the country for the party, as did several sons and daughters-in-law. Penny (my date for my high school prom) and a younger sister to Mama Judith made the trip -- the flight was delayed, but she made it in safely.

The girl friends have become known as "The Owls" and my kudos to the ladies who put together a wonderful birthday cake in the representation of an owl. Seemed a shame to cut it up, it was that artful.

Judy Willink provided luncheon music while everyone had their lunch. After lunch there was an organized program in which Vicki Anderson (another of my former students and a very close friend of Kurt's since high school), Judy Willink, and I all participated, starting with a poem I wrote based on facts that Kurt had forwarded to me some time ago, followed by musical selections from Judy and Vicki -- both the gals are great singers -- then I sang "Irish Heart" -- requested especially by Kurt -- a song that I consider to be one of my best -- there were more songs from Judy and Vicki, and the program concluded with many toasts, champagne lifted on high.

Over all , I think Kurt was pleased with the afternoon's festivities -- and well he might be for he did an excellent job in planning and organizing the entire event.


________________________________________________________________

A very happy 39th Birthday to my son Jonathan -- 39 years old (how can that BE??????) as of May 3. Celebrated his birthday in grand style playing jazz at the Club Royale, New York City, surrounded by friends.

Happy Birthday, son! I am so very proud of you!

_______________________________________________________________

No comments: