HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Hitachi Corporation Does Not Respect Good Customers -- Insulting Settlement

Here's an update on the continuing battle with the Hitachi Corporation. Just as an overview, a little over a year ago we purchased a 37 inch Hitachi LCD set, basically so we would have it in time for the NFL season.

I then signed up for Directv - which by the way -- is not cheap -- I am paying over $60 a month (basically so that I would be able to get the NFL Network and because Directv seemed to be the leader in High def channels) so that I could watch the Packers in what was one of the most enjoyable seasons to watch in years.

It wasn't long before we began experiencing difficulties with several of the inputs on the Hitachi television set.

The DVD player's input began to run erratically. the picture would jump and tick, making it very difficult to concentrate on the rented movie. This got worse. Finally we called in a service man. He recommended that we contact Hitachi (under warranty) and replace the input.

After replacing the input, it wasn't long before the same problem began to crop up again. So began service trip number two.

The replaced input worked for a short time and then began to deteriorate yet again.
This time I called Hitachi and invoked the three times and out "lemon law". I was told that law pertained only to automobiles, but that we should be patient, they would fix the problem.

When the same problem began to reveal itself yet a fourth time, I made a rather angry call to Hitachi Customer Relations and I guess I must have said the magic word: ATTORNEY because the woman I spoke with guaranteed that if this next repair did not remedy the situation they would supply us with a new set, no questions asked.

A little after the original warranty expired, THE SAME PROBLEM BEGAN AGAIN!!

When I called Hitachi I got a different person who tried to tell me they would fix the set again but I then told them the name of the person who had promised us a new set, the exact date and time that promise had been made, and then this agent agreed that we would get a new set.

Weeks went by -- turning into over a month without a new television set. Meanwhile I am paying over $60 a month for no apparent reason.

Yesterday I finally get a call from Hitachi. They have decided to give us a cash settlement.

Now get this. We paid $1788 for the 37 inch set a year ago. Hitachi will give us only $1609.99.

I decided not to argue with them because 1) at least I don't have to deal with Hitachi any more -- I can get a different brand -- and 2) prices on LCD sets have dropped dramatically over the year and we will get a lot more set for the money.

So I called my friend and piano player Tom Wieseler (who is also an electronics genius) and we take his Legacy wagon and my charge card to Sam's Club and chose a 46 inch Sony Bravia LCD, brought it back to the house and Tom hooked it all up for me.

I just called Hitachi Customer Service -- Now that we have accepted their "buy back", the paper work begins. If the past is anything to go by, this could take most of the summer to finally get Hitachi out of our lives. Meanwhile, I will pay just the minimum on the credit card I used to get the new set. In a perfect world, Hitachi should be paying for all the interest on my purchase as well as $120 worth of monthly Directv subscription.

If you are reading this: BUYER BEWARE!!
___________________________________________________________

WOW! I wish I had my camera just now. A male Baltimore Oriole just landed on my upstairs window screen about 8 feet away from where I am sitting and eye-balled me for about 10 seconds before moving on. Beautiful color! I shall take that as a good omen!

__________________________________________________________

No comments: