HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Tiit Raid -- An Incredible Man, A Loving Friend, A Great Gift To All of Humanity

I cannot think of anyone in this world more loved by those who know him than Tiit Raid. So it is so shocking to so many of us who have had the gift of sharing time, food, his beautiful art, his driving rythyms on percussion, and his soulful flute playing to have gotten the news that Tiit has been diagnosed with acute leukemia.

Personally it has put me in the first stage of grief -- anger -- and it is a stage that I am going to have difficulty getting past. I told Tiit this by telephone two days ago and Tiit, in his usual, "old soul" philospher style told me that anger is a waste of time. Leukemia, he told me "is what it is." We all are sent tests and trials in our lives and Tiit feels this is his.

Before going further, I must explain the "banana picture".

I visited Tiit at Mayo yesterday. He is in great spirits, the chemo he has already started seems to be really helping, his color has returned, and so has his sense of humor. Missing is his appetite and he really misses it. Hospital food is no quick fix on it either.

This brings us to the banana. His nurturing, loving, lifetime companion, Ann, has been cheerleading Tiit in the area of eating whether he feels like it or not, and just after I arrived, she was cajoling him into eating the banana.
He began equatng the deed to the drawing on the coasters of a bar on Water Street, and we all got the giggles.

I asked if I could take the picture with the banana and Tiit said that would be fine. Unfortunately, the picture doesn't match the coaster very well -- too much "deep throat banana"! C,mon, Tiit -- don't bogart that banana!

As you can see from all the blankets, he was having some trouble with chills. We had a good time teasing the nurses about more blankets and I think someone (not me though) suggested the blankets be personally warmed by naked nurses.

While Tiit was using the bathroom I took the "spy" photo of the water lily color-pencil drawing he has been doing to stay busy.

I loved the way Tiit described the blood that they were dispensing in tranfusions. He described it in the way an artist would describe an oil paint: very crimson and dense.

All of his life, Tiit has been an incredible observer of life and everything that surrounds him.

I told Tiit that I believe in the power of love and I know that there are so many people who love him so very deeply that the power of love will be so strong that he cannot help but emerge triumphant over what he calls his trial and testing!

If you are reading this, please remember Tiit in your thoughts and prayers. He is such a great gift to this world. Even better, take a moment to express love and kindness and send him an encouraging card at:

Tiit Raid
Room 7-406
The Eisenberg Building
Methodist Hospital
Rochester, MN 55903

No comments: