HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, October 29, 2007

First Timer Planning For Lambeau In Mid-November -- Overkill or Underdressed








I don't know about you, but my thermostat doesn't adapt to changing conditions as well as it used to. I know this to be fact when I see college kids in cut-offs and tee shirts in late October.

I am usually in shock for the first three days of any temperature up or downswing, and when the seasons really change, I am totally lost as to how much clothing of what type I need to wear to stay warm.

I usually err in favor of being too warm and wear an army B-3 before October is gone.

When Kim and I went to the Packer/Redskin game on October 14, I managed to play it correctly. Saturday was beautiful and we could have gotten away with jeans and a hooded sweat shirt, but game day, clouds moved in big time and temps dropped.

I was only too happy that there was no wind of any consequence or it may have gotten a bit miserable even though we were wearing full rain suits that I had bought at Fleet Farm two months earlier in anticipation of just such an occurence.

It rained a kind of mixture of mist and drizzle throughout most of the game -- sneaky stuff that you didn't really notice until you bent your head and a river ran down your chest.

So now the weather has started its seasonal change. The first hard frost has taken its bow and it becomes more difficult for a guy like me, who is a non-hunter and therefore doesn't get out much in the cold weather.

So I went to the army-navy store and bought the clerk-recommended black polypropylene, first layer thermal wear, tops nd bottoms as pictured. This will be my foundation.

Then will come the Packer hoodie (pictured) over the thermal wear (which, by the way, zips up into a turtle neck for extra warmth.

Over the hoodie I will pull the extra large Packer jersey (#34) pictured. If this doesn't keep my top half warm, I will also bring my much decorated Packer jacket (see above w/Packer stocking cap) to complete the upper ensemble.

While at the army-navy store, I found a pair of "Big Bill" pure wool slacks to keep my bottom half warm. It has been years since I have even seen a pair of wool pants -- these babies are really heavy material and in a nice Packer green at that!

I also spent way too much money on thermal socks, but as you know, if your feet are cold -- everything else is cold, too.

Looking back at all this really warm clothing makes me get the feeling that Sunday, November 18, will be sunny and in the 60's.

An old man stripping in the 123rd section is not a pretty sight.

_____________________________________________________________

No comments: