HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Friday, October 12, 2007

If You don't Love Your Work -- Find Something You Love Doing! Life Too Short

I performed a short set of comedy -- actually just related past experiences onstage -- for the St. Joseph's Hospital Appreciation Banquet.

The real treat for me was to be able to hear Jerry Way and trio play some "dinner" music with Margi Rae on piano and Mike Walk on saxophone They were veery good and deserve to be more than background music.

As I drove home I contemplated about how lucky I have been and am to be doing what I do for a living. My eleven year career as an eighth grade English teacher had its moments, particularly when I could work with students in a more one on one situation, such as producing the student newspaper (The Knight Times), and putting on the variety show once a year, but it was the peripheral bull puckey that I couldn't deal with.

It only served to make me appreciate more the fact that I am my own boss, answerable only to the audience of the evening, and to my strongest critic -- myself.

Tonight I consider myself to be fortunatge as I am doing a short set to warm up the crowd for RADA DADA at the Fifth Annual WomenRock fund raiser against breast cancer.

Yes, count me among the blessed.

______________________________________________________

The cold grey of November seems to have arrived early. it chased the rains out of the area this past week and we went from 85 degree summere to 45 degree slate November weather.

The stunning golden maple that I can see out the window just over the top of my computer went from a majestically robed hardwood royalty to an emperor with no clothes in less than three days. The rains that came took the leaves very quickly.

I do, however, find this time of year exciting for its own personality. The perfume of dry leaves should be bottled as men's cologne. My second favorite smell? My office wood stove which is burning red oak -- that reminds me -- I need to order my two face cords!

The one problem I have with turning to the wood stove is that it is almost impossible not to get it too warm throughout the building. I, however, am one of those folk who loves basking in the warmth of wood heat. There is absolutely no other fuel that will warm you to the marrow as well as a banked, glowing stove.

Where's the coffee pot?

Look for a photo chronicled report on the Packer/Redskin game this coming week.


__________________________________________________

No comments: