HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, October 27, 2007

David Caradori - Another Treasure of the Chippewa Valley




Several months ago I went ahead and did what I had been thinking about doing for about a year. My favorite popover cups are ceramic and "little clay pot" shaped and I can't find replacements anywhere! I have asked in every kitchen supply store, including the one where I bought the originals, and I have scoured and googled the net until nearly mad, but all I can figure is that the company must have gone out of business.

A note: If you are like me, and you like to cook, you know how important finding just the right tool for the job is -- some pan that when filled with a batter turns out better cakes than anything else in your arsenal, the aged cast iron griddle that turns out buttermilk pancakes, the browning patterns of which are pieces of culinary art

And it takes time to trial and error your way to where you think maybe you now have the right tools to maybe call yourself a cook.

So it became replacement day. I visited with a very talented potter, David Caradori, who has his shop at 359 Ferry Steet and which, if memory serves, used to be operated by my old piano playing buddy, Chuck Solberg.

I explained what I wanted to David, we made some drawings, and I stressed that I wanted them deep and narrow enough to make tall, mushrooming popovers.

It took some time as David is not at a loss for work, but finally the day arrived. I went and picked up my twelve -- that's what I said -- twelve popover cups that come in sets of four. I am ready for dinner parties!

But first, there's the maiden-bake. Will they make great popoveres or dough torpedos?

Happy to announce that they pop and brown magnificently and I have also learned to leave them in until they are a really dark brown as it airs them out and makes them even more crispy.

Kudos to Mr. David Caradori!

_________________________________________________

No comments: