HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Friday, October 19, 2007

Larry The Collector Completes Jersey Collection

Something there is about the person who becomes completely engrossed in objects and then begins collecting them until the hunger is filled.

I read somewhere that collecting is a sign of intelligence. Probably written by some guy who owns an antique store. My wife, frankly, thinks I am a little off my rocker, having now collected over 30 NFL jerseys. I told Kim some months ago that there is only one more that I need to find and then I can hopefully stop (although it is going to be difficult not to collect as many 1960 era Packer jerseys as possible.

I do have a really good facsimile of an "away" Don Chandler #34 jersey. I like the cut of the older generation of jerseys with the oval neck and the sleeve stripes woven right into the material.

Today or tomorrow my "last" jersey should be arriving. It is a green (home) Joe Namath, NY Jets #12 jersey, done in the heavier '60's type material. I have been scouring the net, looking for this jersey for months!

People ask me if I wear them out in public and the answer is yes. Jerseys are very comfortable and warm. Yes, I know they make me look out of place, and no, I don't really care because every once in a while an old timer will recognize a jersey and we will have a great discussion of that players' career.

This happened yesterday on my way to visit Tiit in the hospital in Rochester. I stopped at a gas station in Galesville and one of the elderly locals piped up: "Billy Kilmer! Man! He was one of the great ones!" And off we went on "Old Whiskey's" career and how he lost out to Sonny Jurgenson, another great player who's jersey I wouldn't mind having.

People look at me with distain, missing the point that I am just paying homage to a great player by wearing the jersey -- "You're a Redskins fan?"

No, I am a Packers fan who just happens to think that Kilmer deserves a little respect. As does Kenny Stabler, Walter Payton (the Bears Still Suck), and myriads of others, including Broadway Joe Willie, the first AFL trash talker who guaranteed a victory over the Colts and then went out and did it.

I also love Johnny U and should have one of his jerseys. Maybe this collection isn't dead yet. But I'm running out of closet space, have spent way too much money on this hobby, and Kim is getting tired of looking across the dinner table at numerals.

I do have my hangups. I know they had a few great players in their day (Tarkenton, Wrong Way Marshall, Robert Brown to name a few) but I just can't bear to put on a purple jersey and it's all due to the Viking "fan" mentality.

I have been to games at the Metrodome. Won't ever go again. Minnesota fans are downright mean. I have been to a lot of games at Lambeau and have yet to see a fan clad in the opposition's garb being treated with anything more than good natured teasing.

I am sure that there are Viking fans who could tell me stories to the contrary. I hope that Packer fans will maintain a certain amount of class because The Green Bay Packers have an illustrous past that demands class from its fans.

Mailman just arrived with my package. I will post my "Namath" in a separate set up!

_________________________________________________________

No comments: