HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Irresponsible Consumer Loses It - -- Goes In Search of New Help

An editorial

I am a CONSUMER. It's not something I am proud of, actually, "but there it is", as a friend of mine would say, the sometimes ugly truth. I do love my toys and comfort. I am addicted to television. Something else I rarely admit.

Ever since the advent of cable I have been tangled in its signal-web.

So when digital high definition hit the market I would stand in Walmart (yikes -- more polititcal incorrectness) and drool at the amazing clarity of the images.

And Kim is so good about it. Hell, she couldn't really care less about television -- movies, yes, TV, no. I talked her into a set and since our last set was a Hitachi and gave us absolutely perfect service for 6 years, it was back to The FS Appliance Center, site of my first purchase, where I bought a 37 incher -- no need to go hog wild.

Well, here's where my editorial starts. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right" or "the costumer comes first"? We don't hear that much anymore. Business doesn't believe it any more. Back in the 40's, when business said "The customer is always right", they actually meant it! But somewhere in the 80's's - I think it was - that began to shift.

Now, nobody really gives a shit about their job and doing it right the first time. And they fall behind because they refuse to hire enough competent people so that they don't get stressed, and they get a bad attitude.

Example:

Everything is just swell between the consumer and the repairman as long as the television set doesn't start acting up.

I thought, having been a customer for about 15 years, and having thrown a lot of money in the direction of Erickson's TV, that they could be called on if I had technical difficulties.

The new set, shortly after being set up, exhibited some jumpy picture on "Source One" which carried my DVD picture, so I gave Erickson's a call and they got all the paperwork done with FS. It would not cost me anything because, good consumer that I am, I had added a two year insurance plan on the warranty and Hitachi would be paying Erickson TV for the work.

Erickson's supposedly put a new input in for "Source One" and it ran well for about two months and then -- yippee~! -- jumpy picture again!

So I call Erickson's and tell them that the same problem is happening again. They tell me that it is my DVD player, that it can't be the input, and that's all they will have to do with the problem.

They won't even set up an appointment to look at the problem.

So today I went back to FS and told them the story and asked where I could find a , dependable, consumer-oriented television repair in Eau Claire that in addition to having a good rapport with the customer, doesn't have a secretary that'll take your head off - and he recommended "Technical Difficulties".

This after Pete at FS had me bring in the DVD player and test it out at the store, then run home and get the cable and test that because there was nothing wrong with the DVD player and oddly enough, the cables are good too.

Shoe's on the other foot, folks. We consumer/material world junkies are no longer in charge. There's too many of us. So many, in fact, that business can basically tell you to go screw yourself because they don't need or want your business - there's thirty other buttheads already clamoring for their services.

Guess I should feel fortunate that "Technical Difficulties" won't be out to look at the problem until a week from today. At least they are willing to take me on as a customer.

Good thing I like to read as well.

___________________________________________________


_________________________________________________________________

No comments: