HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Friday, March 7, 2008

Spring Can't Be Too Far Away -- First Signs Continue

When you are in something or someone's proximity each and every day, you tend not to notice wholesale changes that are really taking place right before your eyes.

Case in point: My singular "house plant", a creeping wire vine, which I bought last autumn just to at least have one thing living over here.


Well, today, with the days getting longer, I finally noticed that Ms. Creepy is starting to show signs of taking over the place with lots of new growth.

The other day I was talking about the first signs of Spring being the sound of a cardinal who has changed from the winter song to the much prettier and hopeful spring song, the annual appearance of pot holes the size of Rhode Island, and today I remembered yet another, March Madness!

The state high school tournament is in gear this week. I wouldn't even remember that except for the fact that while I was in town today I stopped at a pawn shop and just couldn't pass up the coolest little color TV -- it can run off AA batteries, be hooked up to the cigarette lighter in the car, or be plugged in with the standard electric cord.

Well, you're gonna love this -- I was watching the basketball tournament -- and poof! I lost my picture. I turn it off for a minute or so --turn it back on and it has a picture for about 20 seconds and then -- poof! Gone again.

And I was just starting to like my new toy! Lucky for me, the pawn shop has a two week warranty on it. Guess it's better that it happen right away than 15 days from now, eh?

After thinking about my present problem, I realized that when I had gotten home I put in 8 fresh AA batteries and I was running on battery power.

So before having a further hissy fit, I decided to take of the battery pak and switch to normal power and VOILA! Problem solved. The only minor complaint I have now is holy mackerel -- this thing really eats AA batteries. I think i got about an hour and a half running time on eight fresh.

So much for my fantasy of taking it on my small mouth fishing trips over night on the Jump River.

While I am working on this blog I am watching the wrath of Judge Judy. Ouch!

Funny how I relate certain sounds with the times of my life. The speakers on this little "pocket vision" have that distant tinny sound that take me to a hospital bed, laid up with a bad heart -- then a broken leg.

No comments: