HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

St Paddy's Day approaches -- Take Me to The Emerald Isle


Next to Thanksgiving, st Patrick's Day is my favorite holiday of the year. Ah -- corned beef and cabbage! -- shepherd's pie -- soda bread -- and of course, at least three bottles of Guiness -- all backed by some good authentic Irish fiddle and accordion on the box.

For the second time in a row, my brother John will be home for St Patrick's day and I am hoping we can share a meal and some time together. He is keynote speaker at the Senior Day, UWEC.

Last year we were able to get all four of the Heagle boys together at my house for al the Irish fixin's mentioned above. Unfortunately, I was still struggling with getting over the broken leg.

Isn't the accompanying photo a beautiful shot of Ireland? Such lush greenery!

Well, no! That's not a picture I took in Ireland, but rather a photo of a valley about two miles from my house out here in Fall Creek land!

Don't get me wrong -- I would LOVE to go to Ireland. It is one of my recurring pipe dreams. but for now, anyway, just driving what I call "the loop" and getting the view pictured is pretty breath taking. Of course this time of year I am wondering if that green will ever return.

______________________________________________________________

I received an interesting e mail from musician acquaintance Andy Muenich today. There is a web site that has been set up by John T. Walsh of television's "America's Most Wanted" program. the URL is: wwwfamilywatchdig.us and by typing in your home address you are apprised of all the riff raff that are out of prison and back in your community. Everything from child molesters and rapists to burglars and other criminals.

I was somewhat taken aback to find that there is a child molester living less than three miles from our house!

As I said, When you visit this site you can enter your address and a map will pop up with your house as a small icon of a house. There will be red, blue and green dots surrounding your entire neighborhood.

When you click on these dots a picture of a criminal will appear with his or her home address and the description of the crime he or she has committed.

The best thing is that you can show your children these pictures and see how close these people live to your home or school.

This site was developed by John Walsh from America's Most Wanted. This is another tool we can use to help us keep our kids safe.

It also makes me glad I have a loaded revolver in the house and a 16 gauge cannon here at the office!

______________________________________________________

Dr. Joe Gessner, a veterinarian from Menomonie called me today to invite me (again) to the annual "Rocky Mountain Oyster" Feed at TJ's Inn in Downsville. for those of you not familiar with the term, Rocky Mountain Oysters are bull testicles!

Over a year's span, Dr. Joe collects them from operations performed at farmers' request.

I have been invited to this party about five times but never had the courage to face up to the fact that I might not be able to stomach this delicacy. Now that I am blogging though, I think I owe it to us all to be a part of it. I will get some photos!

I wonder if they taste like chicken?

I think I better contact my pal Jay Moore -- I invited him along last year and he became my excuse for not going.

No comments: