HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Another Helmet? This Guy Has Way Too Much Time On His Hands

This is a helmet that when it came in I felt might be a lost cause. It was just so beat up. But four coats of green later, it's looking almost presentable! I've always liked the Eagles uniforms and the winged helmets. The green I used isn't nearly dark enough, I don't think, to match the present helmets, but personally I think their latest rendition threw in too much blue with their green.

This specific helmet I got from a guy in Texas. It arrived and the color was deep maroon with a flying goose on the sides. Kinda made me wonder what team he had bought this helmet from. The Honkers? The Wild Geese? It had obviously seen a lot of combat as there are several deep gouges near the crown.

To make the helmet correct, not only should it be a darker green, but the face mask should be black -- or is it dark green? I like the white!

If you check out the face mask, you'll see it is the standard that quarterbacks are wearing these days. It is made of steel and then coated with a rubber/plastic compound. Man -- is it heavy!

My good friend and great country musician, Gary Spaeth, sent me a very inspiring U Tube video this afternoon. It's Merle Haggard singing "America First". I think evrybody should give a listen and take it to heart! Here's the URL:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6jrHPjm4qKM

A lotta guys mellow as they get older. Not Merle! He's come about 180 degrees since Okie From Muskogee.

I got an e mail from my bosom pal, Blinky Johnson -- he's maintaining that Favre has not turned in his resignation papers and predicts that he will play for the Packers this fall. How's that old song go:

First you say you will and then you won't
And then you say you do and then you don't
You're undecided now, so what are you gonna do?

I'm am certain we would welcome him back with open arms but it would be pretty freakin' weird, don't ya think? The boy from Mississippi who keeps crying wolf! Oh, never mind -- Wolf's not in Green Bay anymore.

Personally I don't think he's coming back. What would really frost my punkin would be if he came back and played for some other team in the NFL.

My Historic Aviation catalogue arrived with today's mail. It is my favorite "soak in the office bath tub with bubble bath" reading.

One of these days I will dedicate an entire blog to my huge collection of die cast World War Two fighters and bombers. Most recently I have been trying to find the military version of the Piper Cub that was used as a scout plane and a means of getting the brass around the European theatre.

Hey! I'm off to the tub for a soak and a scrub!

________________________________________________

No comments: