HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Take Mom Out to the Ballgame

User Reviews for Miller Park

not bad for having a roof

03/20/2007 Posted by frenchay81

I have been to about 8 or 9 games at miller park, so I feel i have a pretty good opinion on its quality, even though I am a Cubs fan. I have had seats all over inside this place, and unlike its Chicago neighbor, there are no sight obstructions as far as I could tell. Ticket prices are very affordable, and it suprisingly has a good atmosphere for a "new age" facility with a struggling ball team. The Brewers- Cubs rivalries are shaping into some very enjoyable games year by year. Im not too big on the "Bernies dugout" thing where he slides down after a home run has taken place, but I guess it gets the kids going. Overall, if youre looking for an enjoyable game, w/ comfortable seating, and an enthusiastic yet sparse fan base, I highly recommend the home of the Brew Crew.

Pros: comfortable, clean, cheap

Cons: could use- better atmosphere, better team

Found this "review" of Miller Park by one of our jaded friends from Chicago. You remember Chicago? The city with a team called the Cubs that hasn't won a World Series since -- well, I'll be darned if I can remember!

I just thought you might enjoy the condescending tone. What the hell is "new age" about Miller Park? Whole grain hot dog buns? Franks of pure beef and hashish? Guys hawking incense? "
"Frankensense and myrr here! Get yer really hot incense here!"

Native American flute instead of organ playing the cavalry charge?

And he's not too big on Bernie Brewer. I am surprised he overlooked the really hokey sausage races. Remember the time an opponent tripped the sausage during the race? I love the sausage races. They are fixed just like our federal elections.

Glad to say that I am heading down to that New Age ball park for a Brewers/Phillies game. Maybe I can get a full body massage and a cup of herbal tea before the opening pitch.

__________________________________________________________

I recall fondly the last few years of ma Alice's life when I could spring her from the nursing home for an evening of baseball at Carson Park with the Cavaliers.

She was, by then, forced to watch games from a wheel chair and sadly the beginnings of dementia had started creeping in, fogging her mind, but she never let it bother her, nor did it bother me in the least.

I remember one evening arriving just before game time and Alice asked me: "Is this Milwaukee Country Stadium?"
"No, mom, this is Carson Park."
"Well, which team is the Brewers?"
"The Brewers aren't playing, mom. This is an Eau Claire team called the Cavaliers. They are in the red and blue Uniforms.

After explaining that situation several times, the top of the first inning began. By now I was somewhat concerned that she wouldn't be able to follow the game.

The St. Paul Merchants proceeded to score four runs and there still was nobody out. As the fourth score crossed home plate, mom turned to me and said, very matter-of-factly: "We're not doing very well, are we."

All right, I thought to myself. She's just fine.

_________________________________________________________

One summer I was asked to perform at Larry Barr's Country Jam just outside of Eau Claire. I performed at a stage adjacent to the main stage and when there was dead time on that stage with equipment changeovers, I did short half hour shows throughout the day.

Upon completion of my second show I am approached by a woman that I have never met. She does not introduce herself but immediately tells me that "we have had a lot of complaints about your language". So I ask her who "we" is and she tells me she works for WAXX radio.

I say: "So how many complaints about my language have WE had?"
"Well, I really don't know."
"Put an approximate number on it," I say, "was it about 15 people?"
"Well, no, it wasn't 15 people."
"So how many? Would you say about seven people?"
"Well, no not seven."
"So, not 15, not 7, how about four? Have you had four complaints?"
"Well -- (pause) I don't like your language."
"OOOOHHHH! you don't like my language. Tell you what. I don't really care if you like my language or not because I wasn't hired by WAXX Radio. I was hired by Larry Barr. So get away from me!"

No comments: