HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, July 30, 2007

The "REV" is alive and well

Fr. John Heagle is past retirement age. So am I, but I don't see either one of us putting aside what we do.

This photo was taken while John was taking a much deserved short break from the teaching and traveling that he does, not only all over the United states but overseas as well. By investing wisely a long time ago, John now has a beach frontage property on the coast of Oregon. I have been there and I can attest to its breath taking beauty.

Although I have never been there for the occasions, John chronicles by e mail the migrations of the whales that travel up and down the coast with the seasons and he is able to see them from his front window.

I wanted to post this picture because it is so good to see him looking relaxed and fit. I posted it particularly for all the Father Heagle fans of Eau Claire. Whenever I go out in public, they ask me how he is doing. I can tell that he is sorely missed by his former parishoners at St. Pat's as well as by the many others from the area whose lives he touched.

_____________________________________________________

Just taking a midfternoon break from attempting to clean this mess I call my office. I liken it to D-Day, Normandy. I have established a beach head. That means I have completely cleaned one room and I only have five to go. I may as well say four as I know there is no way I will get to the junk room in the back.

Had to take a break earlier to go out and find a small book case as my library is piling up hither, thither and yon. what I hate is no matter where you buy, you have to assemble the damn thing yourself. That would take about three hours cleaning time away from me so I finally convinced the store to assemble it for me, at a cost, and I will pick it up tomorrow.

While rummaging through my books, I came across my edition of Jane and Michael Stern's "Road Food". This particular rendition was published way back in 1992. I will have to go online and check with Amazon.com and see if there is a newer on the market as restaurants are notoriously short-lived.

It was both fun and nostalgic to leaf through its well worn pages as the book traveled with me back in the day when I was logging a lot more miles to distant gigs.

For instance, I see from notes in the margin that I made a stop at Minerva's, 301 S. Phillips Avenue, Sioux Falls, SD and my notes tell me that lunch was not all that impressive save for the key lime pie with lemon custard which was "outrageous".'

While working the comedy club in Sioux Falls (I think it's called Stephanie's) I made several trips to tiny Tea, South Dakota, to the Tea Steak House. I had the small T-bone which was very large, along with crispy, crusty hashbrowns for a mere $11.13 total.

Years ago, on my "Eat Like Elvis Tour" with friend Gary Spaeth and my younger brother Anson, we stopped at the Belle Meade Buffet, Belle Meade Plaza, Nashville, TN. Let me tell you, this was not your Old Country Buffet! The waiters dress in formal clothes, bow ties and white gloves, and the array of foods leaves you flabbergasted: "a vista of vittles to make food lovers weep". Beautiful things to eat and all expertly prepared. Where else will you get jalepeno cornbread and superb squash casserole?

Of course, in Memphis, we hit Charlie Vergo's Rendezvous at 52 Second Street, featuring dry rubbed, charcoal broiled pork ribs served in a great atmosphere. It was my first go round with dry rubs and it was a delectable revelation.

I think one of my favorite stops was The Loveless Cafe, attached to the Loveless Motel on the highway heading west out of Nashville. I fondly recall our breakfast of eggs and country ham, slow cured and salty, fried on a griddle until its rim of fat turns translucent amber and the coral red meat gets speckled sandy brown.

And the biscuits! Oh, the biscuits! the never ending biscuits!

Of course, Wisconsin has its share of culinary treasures. There's Jack Pandl's Whitefish Bay Inn. Wisconsin fish fry with German overtones. You really should have at least one German pancake for the table.

Then there's Jessica's Drive-In Custard Stand on Layton Avenue in Milwaukee, where in addition to heavenly custard, you can get a hamburger of memorable quality.

Who can pass up The original Norske Nook in Osseo, Wisconsin, where I ALWAYS order the roast pork sandwich with mashed potatoes and pork gravy. I inhale it! Most of the time I get just a half order so I can move on to the famous pies.

While gigging in Sheboygan, I purposely hunt down Schulz's restaurant for bratwurst. Did you know that on the fourth of July the people of Sheboygan devour approximately eleven tons of brats?

If you go so Schulz's have your mindset prepared for your brat being served in patty form on a hamburger bun. You miss the nice "pop" of biting into a sausage shaped brat but on the other hand because the patties are so thin they can absorb a miximum amount of charcoal fire flavor.

If you go there, you really should try the butterflied pork chop, a well seasoned, flattened slab of pork, cooked nicely until its charred on the outside, but still plenty moist.

I don't know about you, but I have to stop writing as my saliva glands are looking for overtime pay. I gotta EAT!

_______________________________________________

No comments: