HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Brief Vacation

Had an opportunity to visit good friends Jim and Donna Backus, calling in a long standing invitation to come stay at their cabin on the shores of beautiful Lake Superior near Cornucopia.

Of course this would be the weekend that my fibromyalgia kicked in big time, making what otherwise would have been a really enjoyable weekend a bit of a challenge. I only hope that all those who had to be around me were not too put out.

We sailed a bit on the lake; my first experience on the big lake. We observed a sailboat that had sunk being retrieved by a large boat with a lot of booms and pulleys. I wondered to myself how much that operation was going to cost the unfortunate owner.

Saturday night Jim and Donna had secured really great seats to Big Top Chatauqua and a performance by The Smothers Brothers. I have long been a fan of Dick and Tom, ever since their television show of the turbulent sixties when they were cancelled because they were harsh critics of the Vietnam war.

I am pleased to tell you that 40 years later, they are just as critical of our government and they are even funnier, if that is possible.

Tom is the master of "the take" and he had yours truly laughing to tears throughout the evening, something I certainly needed. They finished to a well deserved standing ovation.

If you, too, are a Smothers Brothers fan, be of good cheer that the boys look great, and they haven't lost a step! If anything, they are, with 50 years of stage experience, even better than before!

It is, however, good to be back home. I am discovering more and more that as I grow older I am more and more of a homebody.

Keeping this short and sweet today. I need to go soak these arthritic knees in a hot tub of water!


_________________________________________________

No comments: