HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

IRISH TEES AND PACKER HELMETS AND STORIES OF ST VINCENT

The night of St. Patrick's Day, Wednesday, March 17th, Larry Heagle and his band "Boys Nite Inn" wil be appearing at The Red Parot (formerly Jimmy Woo's) on business Highway 53 (N. Hasting's Way) from 7PM - 10PM featuring the music and comedy of yours truly plus the back up of several of the Chippewa Valley's hottest musicians; Denny Marion on lead guitar, five string banjo, dobro, and vocals, Randy "bass guy" Sinz on bass and vocals, and my old friend and confidante David "Barney" Barneson on the drum kit. Come out early and please drink a lot - we need to look good on the books or there will be no return!

I received this photo of an Irish tee shirt from my pal Judy Anderson. Got me giggling early today! Wish I could get one in time for the show.

As I reported earlier, I am on a quest to get Fuzzy Thurston's autograph on the pictured helmet which I had built specially for me by my football helmet expert, Curtis Worrell of Helmet Hut down in Warsaw, Indiana.

Having received no response to various letters and e mails to Fuzzy's Club #63 on Mason Street in Green Bay, yesterday I called the club and asked to speak to the manager, Fuzzy's son, Mark.

Mark was very gracious and explained that he hadn't had any time to answer my requests as Fuzzy has been having a rough go of it lately - he had successful surgery for prostate cancer just recently so things have been a bit hectic.

If you would like to send Fuzzy a get well card, the address of the club is:

2511 WEST MASON STREET
GREEN BAY, WI 54304
ATT: MARK

We had a nice conversation on the phone. Mark asked when I planned to bring the helmet in for signing and I told him probably on or around the time of my 69th birthday which is coming up on April 15th. Kim and I intend to make an overnight road trip out of it, lunching at Fuzzy's club and then spending some time at the Packer Hall of Fame.
I really can't think of a happier birthday than that!

If you have never gone through the Green Bay Packer Hall of Fame, it's a MUST DO for anybody who loves the Packers or even NFL football in general. The one thing I remember most is the display of Ray Nitschke's helmet with a spike through it. Luckily he wasn't wearing it when a pole toppled right on to it, embedding the spike in the helmet.
I am currently reading a book entitled "Coach". One of the many Lombardi legendary stories included is how one day at practice it was raining incessantly. finally Vince looked to the heavens and exhorted: "goddamn it, stop raining!" there was a flash of lightning, a crash of thunder, and it stopped raining instantly. Think Lombardi had any trouble motivating his team to practice the rest of that day?

The legend has it that when center, Jim Ringo came in to negotiate his contract for the last time, he brought along an attorney, something no other player had dared even think about prior to this. Ringo told Lombardi that he wasn't very good at getting what he wanted and that Lombardi should negotiate with his lawyer. Lombardi got up, left the room and was gone for five minutes. He returned, sat down behind his desk and said to the lawyer: "I'm afraid you are negotiating with the wrong man. Mr. Ringo is now the property of the Philadelphia Eagles."

That's the legend. But the truth is that Lombardi had gotten wind of Ringo's intentions months before it occurred and he had already traded Ringo to the Eagles well before the meeting.

He was a master at psychology! Ya' think?


_____________________________________________________________

Up and at 'em early this morning as I needed to be at the Marshfield Clinic at 7:45 AM for a blood draw, a weekly regimen now that my heart doctor has me on rat poison to thin my blood, thus preventing clots.

I inadvertently found out that when you are on Coumadin (rat poison) you must be careful not to fall down because you could bleed to death internally. My doctor neglected to tell me that. Slipped his mind, I guess. I think it is pretty important to know a fact like that, don't you??

_______________________________________________________________

Many years ago while I was on the road, on one of my breaks an over the road trucker struck up a conversation. Eventually he asked if I had ever seen the inside of a big rig. Even though this set off my "he might be gay" alarm, I told him I had not and that I would be interested.

After I got my tour of the cab, he asked if i would like to share a toke. Not wanting to be inhospitable, I again agreed. Of course, I didn't inhale. I asked him if he smoked when he was driving and to my dismay he said yes. I said: "what about when the weather is really bad with ice and snow?" And he said "Then -- even more." Then he told me that the hairiest accident he had ever been in was in California when he had to hit the breaks to avoid an accident on an overpass, jack knifed, and broke through the cement side rails and the rig hung by its back wheels just above the pavement below.

I told him I had to go back to work.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Brian invited his mother over for dinner. During the
course of the meal,
Brian's mother couldn't help but notice how
beautiful Brian's roommate,
Jennifer, was. Brian's Mom had long been suspicious
of the platonic
relationship between Brian and Jennifer, and this had
only made her more
curious.
Over the course of the evening, while watching the two
interact, she started
to wonder if there was more between Brian and Jennifer
than met the eye.

Reading his mom's thoughts, Brian volunteered, 'I
know what you must be
thinking, but I assure you Jennifer and I are just
roommates.'

About a week later, Jennifer came to Brian saying,
'Ever since your mother
came to dinner, I've been unable to find the
beautiful silver gravy ladle.
You don't suppose she took it, do you?

Brian said, 'Well, I doubt it, but I'll send her
an e-mail just to be sure.
So he sat down and wrote:


Dear Mom,

I'm not saying that you 'did' take the gravy
ladle from the house, I'm not
saying that you 'did not' take the gravy ladle.
But the fact remains that one
has been missing ever since you were here for dinner.
Love, Brian


Several days later, Brian received an email back from his
mother that read:




Dear Son,

I'm not saying that you 'do' sleep with
Jennifer, I'm
not saying that you 'do not' sleep with Jennifer.
But the fact remains that
if Jennifer is sleeping in her own bed, she would have
found the gravy ladle
by now.

Love, Mom

NEVER LIE TO YOUR
MOTHER.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments: