HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, March 13, 2010

MY HERO SEBASTIAN COMES TO CALL - Larry loses the cast early

THIS HAS BEEN THE WEEKEND of kissing babies! Yesterday we had a full family reunion of all four of the Heagle brothers so that we could fall even further in love with our new Grand-Niece, Mila. Unfortunately I forgot my camera (if it ain't one thing, it's another ya' know) but when doting grandma Dianna sends me some photos of the occasion, I will post them.

This morning, saturday, March 13, I got my weary damaged body out of bed at 6 AM, had a little breakfast, and headed over here to the bungalow to build a nice fire in the stove, catch up on book work, and publish this blog.
I hadn't been here for more than 45 minutes when Kim called from the house to tell me that the subject of many photos on my blog, Sebastian, (and my hero) would soon be making a personal appearance at our house accompanied by mom and grandmother.

Kim asked if I would like to come over and meet him and the answer was a resounding YES! She called again upon their arrival and I drove back over to the house to find the group huddled near the kitchen where Sebastian was performing one of his favorite activities, opening doors and drawers and then closing them, chortling with delight. His grandmother Jill explained that Sebastian has a real fascination with hinges - she thinks because of the many time Julie lets him turn pages in books she is reading to him. His sense of wonder is - well - WONDERFUL!!

He got a little upset when Julie picked him up to move him over to the stairs that ascend to our loft. However, stairs are another of his all time favorite activities and he tackles them like a mountain climber on Everest, with an ernest expression of determination. When he reached the first landing, with the help of his mother, he stood and vocally exulted over his victory.
As you can see in the first photograph, Hammy (as well as Stella) were totally enthralled with this smaller version of a human being. They would dart in for a few sniffs, then back away, taking turns in discovering just what they were dealing with. It was quite an occasion for all concerned and we hope that Julie, Grandma Jill, and maybe even daddy Adam, will make another guest appearance soon. THIS WAS FUN!



Friday morning Kim encouraged me to call Dr. Brucker's office about my cast as the swelling to my left ankle had receded so much that there was too much space to bang against inside the cast and I had, in fact, given myself a blister on the inside rear of my left heel.

The nurse told me to come in at 10:30 and they would remove the present cast, take x-rays and then decide what to do. The assistant removed the cast with that special saw that vibrates and tickles and finally broke my bruised lower leg free of its casing.

The first thing I noticed was that there was a band of swelling around the ankle but everything else, except for peeling skin, was looking pretty good. The nurse, at my request, put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me down to x-ray. Photos were taken from all angles and I returned to the cast removal station.

Deb, Dr. Brucker's PA, came in with the x-ray results and announced that my ankle bone is completely healed. This is great news as I was not supposed to be completely healed until March 15. I give credit to Tiit Raid who advised me to continually picture the bone healing itself and really concentrating upon that image. Thank you, Tiit!

Well, silly me, I had pictured this moment for weeks, and I thought that once the cast was removed, I would bop right outa there, trucking down the hall, good as new.

UH UH. As soon as I put full weight on the legs they both began barking at me, especially my arthritic knees and more exactly, the swollen ankle which now felt like the worst sprain I have ever experienced. So I am back to hobbling with one crutch to ease the pain - which is considerable - gobbling pain pills like candy. BUT I AM ON THE MEND AND NOT ONLY THAT, I CAN NOW (VERY CAREFULLY) CLIMB INTO A HOT BUBBLY BATH TUB WITH A WHIRL POOL AND READ!

Dr. Jalil wants me to take double the diuretic that I am on because both my lower legs are swollen grotesquely and elephant man ain't got nothin on me. I also was taken off one of my many blood pressure meds (Amlodapene ?) as it contributes to swelling. He also susggested I wear those really tight compression stockings but I told him there was no way I could deal with that much pain so he relented and now Nurse Wilson has to get up every morning and not-too- tightly wrap both my lower legs in ace bandages.

However, my spirits and attitude are very good. I want to get my legs back in shape by opening day of fishing season as I have plans for the small mouth bass on the Jump River in mid May. Along with my pal Blinky, we are going to float from the Hwy 73 bridge, camp over night half way down, and take out at the bridge near the park at Sheldon. To that end, I am already climbing the stairs (not with Sebastian's glee) in the morning to either do a hundred reps on the stationery bike or 20 reps on the elliptical - I tried the elliptical for the first time this morning and I darn near passed out with the pain - but as Nike says: "NO PAIN, NO GAIN',

Looks like I will be leading the band on St. Paddy's seated on a tall stool, with plenty of Guiness to wash down the pain pills.


There, I said it!


A mouse looked through the crack in the wall

to see the farmer and his wife open a package.

"What food might this contain?" The mouse wondered.
He was devastated to discover it was a mousetrap.

Retreating to the farmyard,

the mouse proclaimed this warning :

"There is a mousetrap in the house!

There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The chicken clucked and scratched,

raised her head and said, "Mr. Mouse,

I can tell this is a grave concern to you,

but it is of no consequence to me.

I cannot be bothered by it."

The mouse turned to the pig and told him,

"There is a mousetrap in the house!

There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The pig sympathized, but said,

"I am so very sorry, Mr. Mouse,

but there is nothing I can do about it

but pray.

Be assured you are in my prayers."

The mouse turned to the cow and said,

"There is a mousetrap in the house!

There is a mousetrap in the house!"

The cow said, "Wow, Mr. Mouse. I'm sorry for you,

but it's no skin off my nose."

So, the mouse returned to the house,

head down and dejected,

to face the farmer's mousetrap

. . . Alone. . .

That very night

a sound was heard throughout the house

-- the sound Of a mousetrap catching its prey.

The farmer's wife rushed to see what was caught.

In the darkness, she did not see it.

It was a venomous snake

whose tail was caught in the trap.

The snake bit the farmer's wife.

The farmer rushed her to the hospital.

When she returned home she still had a fever.

Everyone knows you treat a fever

with fresh chicken soup.

So the farmer took his hatchet to the farmyard

for the soup's main ingredient:

But his wife's sickness continued.

Friends and neighbours

came to sit with her

around the clock.

To feed them,

the farmer butchered the pig.

But, alas,

the farmer's wife did not get well...

She died.

So many people came for her funeral

that the farmer had the cow slaughtered

to provide enough meat for all of them

for the funeral luncheon.

And the mouse looked upon it all

from his crack in the wall

with great sadness.

So, the next time you hear

someone is facing a problem

and you think it doesn't concern you,

remember ---

When one of us is threatened, we are all at risk.

We are all involved in this journey called life.

We must keep an eye out for one another

and make an extra effort

to encourage one another.

No comments: