HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Tonight, Wednesday, April 3, represents yet another harbinger of spring -- Dr. Joe Gessner's annual Rocky Mountain Oyster Feed at TJ's Inn in Downsville, Wisconsin.

several weeks ago I got a call from Dr Joe, the veterinarian, who was coming back through the Eau Claire area after having made a "house call" (barn call?) east of Eau Claire and he wanted to know if I would be so kind to be his accompanist on guitar for several songs he had written for the testicle festival.

I guess he knows me pretty well. I was, of course, fascinated and it piqued my interest that I could put such an occasion on my resume!
So we practiced the three tunes and in addition the Doc showed me his expertise on harmonica. We were set!

But then, wouldn't you know -- I double booked the evening, promising to meet Kim and our friends Jim and Donna for supper at 5:45 today! I immediately called Dr Joe and left a message for h im to call me on my cell. Luckily, when he called back, he told me that if I could get over there by 7:45PM everything would be cool as things didn't really gete rolling until then anyway.

I arrived at 7:30 and the joint was jumping. One could scarcely move through the bar. In fact, I took my guitar and small P.A. system around back and through the kitchen.

At that point, I knew it was time to taste the entree of the evening. How do I put this? Bull testicles do NOT taste like chicken, okay? They taste like -- well, they taste like bull nuts is what they taste like. They have a flavor that is uniquely their own -- one that I did not find particularly enjoyable. Sort of a cross between liver, gizzards, and any and all internal organs that you have ever had. Thank God for batter and deep frying!

Still, the Menomonie and Downsville folk were slugging them down plate after plate, especially the womenfolk. Dr. Joe informed me that they went through seventy pounds of the buggers!!! That's a lotta BULL! MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

______________________________________________________

No comments: