HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Selling On eBay Not Nearly As Much Fun As Buying

I guess I should read the eBay seller's tutorials before I start dabbling in selling stuff on eBay. This past week I put a Schutt helmet up for sale.

On the advice of eBay, I started the price low, at $.99. But first I should tell you that the helmet cost me $40 some dollars to purchase off eBay. then I spent another $5.00 painting it in NY Giant blue, and another $40 in buying the correct NFL helmet decals for it. So add it up.

Yesterday it sold for $9.99. I guess you might say I lost my ass! I immediately went into my the other items for sale and changed my opening price from .99 to 49.99 -- I am not running a charity here!

so this morning, I get an e mail from Mr Irate in Florida which reads:

"this helmet was .99 cents today (I think he meant yesterday) and now it is 49.99, what gives, what kind of auction are you running here.why did you change the price, that is not the way to do business, I hope all others see this and are outraged too."

To which I replied: " I am new to selling items on eBay and after spending over $100 in preparation to sell a similar helmet, it sold for $9.99. So you are not the only one who is irate. Forgive me for my ignornace."

Well, Mr Irate is not in a forgiving mood as witnessed from his reply to that e mail:

"This is why it is called an auction, you have plenty of feedback so you must know how auctions work, why would you ever think you will get great money on this site, people are always looking for deals, so please start all your auctions for what you will be happy with in the future, anyway good luck selling in the future but I will no longer be interested in any of your auctions for I would be affraid you will change your mind and change the price."

As you can understand, I didn't feel this message needed an answer. And I am certain to be losing lots of sleep because he will no longer be interested in any of my auctions. OUCH!

_____________________________________________________________

On a lighter note, Kim received the following e mail from Stephanie St. Germaine:

"Hi! how are things? I miss you. I was getting ready for work this morning listening to the Rhinelander Hodag radio and they played this crazy song about wood ticks. I was thinking it sounded familiar and the voice sounded a little familiar. The song got over and the DJ said that was Larry Heagle with the Wood tick song. I couldn't believe it. Anyways, got to get back to work! Hope everything is going well for you.
Stephanie

A much needed lift! Good to know that spring is here and the song has returned to the airwaves. I was down to the Eau Claire Bicycle Shop on Water Street recently -- in search of bicycle shipping crates which work really well in the shipment of guitars -- and the owner brought up my "favorite" subject -- Brad Paisley's obvious rip off of The Wood Tick Song.

Unfortunately, he doesn't use enough exact phrasing from my song to be sued -- just stole the whole idea. And ideas, unfortunately, are not protected by law.

It's the same old story with me. Back in the day it was the "Turtles" commercial for Leinenkugel's Beer -- the idea has been used over and over again on t shirts and billboard advertising and I see nary a penny. but then who said life is fair, eh?

Just don't be buying anything from me on Ebay because you never know when I will up my price as I am a real unscrupulous bastard. Ask anybody that really knows me!

_______________________________________________________________

And this one just in from the Wisconsin Department of Fishing and Hunting Harrassment:

NEVER ARGUE WITH A WOMAN

One morning the husband returns after several hours of fishing and decides to take a nap. Although not familiar with the lake, the wife decides to take the boat out. She motors out a short distance, anchors, and reads her book.

Along comes Game Warden T. J. Ebbers in his boat. He pulls up alongside the woman and says, "Good morning, Ma'am. What are you doing?"

"Reading a book," she replies, (thinking, "Isn't that obvious?")

"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informs her

"I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading"

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."
"For reading a book?" she replies,

"You're in a restricted fishing area," he informs her again,

"I'm sorry, officer, but I'm not fishing. I'm reading"

"Yes, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment. I'll have to take you in and write you up."

"If you do that, I'll have to charge you with sexual assault," says the woman.

"But I haven't even touched you," says the T.J.

"That's true, but you have all the equipment. For all I know you could start at any moment."

"You're a ball bustin' bitch!" he says, and he left.


MORAL: Never argue with a woman who reads. It's likely she can also think.

___________________________________________________________

No comments: