HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Collecting Football Helmets Puts Me In Touch With History

This is a Riddell TK style suspension helmet from the 1960's that I found on eBay last night and will be bidding on in a few days.

I get really excited when I see one of these come on line as they are fairly rare. I like them because they are from another era when football was played for a lot less money and a lot more heart.

As you can see, whoever has it, has hand painted it (and rather poorly I might add) to resemble a New York giants line backer helmet, as witnessed by the heavy duty face mask. It is a duplicate of Giants linebacker Sam Huff's helmet (albeit it has the wrong number painted on it -- #75 -- Sam wore #70), whose biography I just finished reading this past week.

So I did someting I thought I would never do. I wrote a fan letter to Sam. And here is what it says:


Larry Heagle
4888 Hobbs Road
Fall Creek, Wisconsin 54742


Mr. Sam Huff “the Man in the Middle”
P.O. Box 7070
Middleburg, Virginia 22117

Dear Sam:

I just finished reading your moving biography “Tough Stuff”. Not only did I find it difficult to put it down, but the closer I got to the end of it, the sadder I became that there wasn’t more.

I am 66 years old, and having been a Green Bay Packer fan all my life, I remember you very well from the glorious years when you played linebacker with the New York Giants and tangled with Jimmy Taylor.

I have always admired the way you played the game with your whole heart and soul. That was always evident as I watched you range back and forth behind the line of scrimmage.

I am an entertainer. Most of my work is making men and women of the business sector laugh after dinner.

I had the honor and pleasure of working two banquets with the late, great Ray Nitschke, another of my heros.

Now to the point: I have been collecting football helmets, mostly from your era, and restoring them.

Yesterday I found a helmet on eBay and I have enclosed the particulars with this letter. As you can see, it is very beat up and whoever painted it, obviously didn’t have a lot of good taste or he would have put the number 70 on it! (I have been trying to find out who #75 is, but cannot connect a name with the helmet.)

Here is my question. If I bid high enough to win the helmet and restore it to its orignal lustre, could I ship it to you and have you autograph it for me?

I would include a check for whatever you feel fair for your trouble plus the cost of shipping it back to me. Rest assured that it will bear the number seventy -- not seventy five!

What really caught my eye about this helmet is the face mask as I believe it is an exact copy of the one you wore.

I was so sorry to read about the break up of your marriage with Mary but I totally understand, having gone through a divorce myself.

My best to Sam Jr. and your grandson Nicholas, your daughter Cathy and, of course, J.D.

I hope your horses are thriving and continuing to give you a tremendous amount of sastisfaction.

God bless you, sir, and thank you for the many hours of sheer pleasure you gave me and all of us while you were “the man in the middle”.

Best regards,


Larry Heagle

______________________________________________________

Should be interesting from a couple of aspects. Will I win the helmet? I am hoping that its condition will make it less attractive to other bidders. I find the challenge of restoring it something to look forward to and get my motor running. And secondly, will Sam take the time to answer my letter?

Anybody want to venture a guess?

_______________________________________________________

Took little nap earlier today and then walked outside to find it raining lightly. Is there a more delicious smell than the first Spring rains that awaken the earth's natural perfume?

Enough for today. Want to spend the rest of the afternoon with Kim. I think I will make a home made pizza for supper!

_______________________________________________________

No comments: