HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Day of Anniversaries

Today marks a few special occasions for me. August 28, 2007 is the third anniversary of my serious motorcycle accident, the results of which I am still recovering, two operations later.

The first operaton took place without my choice of doctors as it is rather hard to choose a doctor when you are unconscious. In addition to a severe concussion that took me nearly six months to shake, I broke my right leg right below the knee. I found out much later that this break is second only to breaking your back.

Even though my orthopedic surgeon marveled at his work each time I went in for a progress report, the leg healed crooked. My soon to be replaced surgeon then recommended a leg brace designed, supposedly, to straighten the leg.

It didn't.

The second time around, I was a bit more cognizant so I asked around and found an orthopedic surgeon up in Burnsville, Minnesota, who operated on the leg and replaced the entire knee last September, at the same time removing a titanium rod of which my previous doctor was so proud.

My next check up is scheduled for November. By this coming September I am supposed to be all better. I don't think I am going to make that deadline.

But I am really not complaining. Today I am celebrating the fact that this could be the third anniversary of my demise.

Kim and I are both up early this morning as we switch gears to go back into regular work mode. Her first teacher meetings are this morning so we rolled out of bed at 5:30A.M. It's really not that big of a deal to me as I am usually already awake at that point, and I love the early mornings.

I was going to write especially in early autumn, but then realized that even when when the temperatures dip well below freezing, I like getting up early and trudging through the snow over here to the office because it means I get to build a warming fire in the great little stove I have here, then brew some coffee.

I don't think there are two better commingling smells than the samell of dripping coffee and the smokey twinge of oak, unless of course, I am cooking chopped onions in bacon fat.

So congratulations to both of us! Kim for putting on the harness once again, and me for surviving to be able to continue to do that which I love, touching people through my music and comedy.

I have a lot to look forward to this fall. My older son Jonathan will be here playing lead guitar in my band for Chippewa Falls' Oktoberfest on September 14 and then again with just me on sunday, September 16, when we will be working with acoustic guitars; A visit from my brother John in October, attendance at two Packer games, a quick trip out to New York City to help my friend Blinky move back to Wisconsin, and starting to record my third CD.

_________________________________________________________

Looks like it is going to be a good day. Alberto the water torturer Gonzalez finally resigned, joining the love child of Goebbels, Karl Rove, in abandoning the sinking ship of state. it is a nightmare to me that we still have a year and two months before elections.

Glad those two are gone. Now let's impeach that arrogant poor excuse for vice president. I want my America back!

__________________________________________________________

No comments: