HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, August 25, 2007

Just Some Random Observations

I pull into the supermarket parking lot and park next to a terminally rusted out 1980's Chevrolet Caprice. I mean, I don't know what is holding this automobile together -- chewing gum and Elmer's Glue? Then I see it; the Bush/Cheney 2004 bumper sticker and I try to comprehend how anybody who is driving a car this decrepit can support the likes of these two. the driver obviously is not in an upper income bracket.

Chalk it off to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh. And pure ignorance, I guess. Suckered again.

At the check out I detect a very heavy eastern European accent and checking her name plate find an equally sounding name. I engage in conversation and find out she is from Russia, married to a guy from Eau Claire, has been in this country since 1990. In hushed tones I ask her if, like me, she gets the feeling that every day the United States seems more and more like the Soviet Union. She tells me that when she first moved here she was ecstastically happy to be coming to a land of freedom but now she is wondering what is becoming of this country.

Suspicions confirmed.

________________________________________

Driving home I spot a thrift sale sign. I continue to drive about a fourth mile and I see the large elaborate sign for Mount Calvary Catholic Cemetery.

It takes a lot of self control not to make a U-turn, dislodge the thrift sale sign and then repost it at the entrance to the cemetery.

This strikes me today as being unusually funny. The incongruity of a thrift sale sign at a cemetery. I know: "I don't get it."

Exactly.

_______________________________________

Kim and I went to Jay Moore's new digs tonight for a little housewarming party. The pizzas turned out magnificently. The company and conversation were great.

After pizza, we sat outside and visited until the night temperatures forced those of us in tee shirt and shorts indoors. I love this time of year when the night temperatures drop enough that I can start a fire in the office stove to keep the chill out overnight.

Oh -- meant to say -- Jay Moore's shorts were the fashion statement of the evening.

Are you familiar with the limmerick about the young man from Mauston who drove a little red Austin?

No comments: