HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, August 20, 2007

Nuthin' Lasts Forever

I received a fascinating e mail from my friend Suzi Kittson of Wausau, Wisconsin, this morning. She suffers with chronic fatigue syndrome as I do, and yesterday it was particularly virulent for her also.

This leads me to believe that barometric pressure changes exert a lot of influence in the overall well being of those of us that are under the scourge of this disease.

I wish I could say that this makes me feel better, but I don't think the fact that I am somewhat better today has anything whatsoever to do with it.


___________________________________________________________

Damn! Where has the summer gone? Kim is already spending at least some of her day working on the coming school year and I am pyschologically tying to prepare myself for living week days alone again.

I am glad that I have the recording project set up (vaguely) to help with this time of transition.

___________________________________________________________

Last thursday, August 16th, would have been the annual Lamb and Leinie's Extavanganza out back of TJ's tavern, Downsille, Wisconsin. It was always the best damn party of summer!

John Widmar, proprietor and chef at TJ's would spit roast huge shanks of lamb next to the rented "big top" tent he brought in just for the occasion.

I was fortunate enough to provide the music for, oh, I don't know how many years with the best musicians from the valley. You never knew who would be on stage from year to year. One summer, Jon Heagle came home from Brooklyn to play lead.

The stage was jammed to overflowing every year and we really put down some stuff!

The highlight, of course, was when John Widmar, now done roasting lamb and well on his way to being roasted himself, would come up on stage and do his rendition of "Big John" , which always brought the house - eer - tent -- down.

But as the song by Delbert McClinton goes: "Nuthin' lasts forever, have a good time, try to string a few together, cuz nuthin' lasts forever."

No comments: