HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, August 19, 2007

Chronic Fatique By Any Other Name is Still a Bitch

Somewhere in my mid-fifties, I began suffering with what the medical community calls "chronic fatigue syndrome". It also has about a dozen other names which I cannot recall this morning. recall is one of aspects of the disease that I find most maddening.

For some years, it seemed that this malady was "on me" every day. I would set out to grocery shop with a specific main meat course in mind, body aching from head to foot, only to find, upon arriving at the supermarket that they were out of the specific cut of meat I wanted.

then I would find myself wandering aimlessly about the store, unable to make a replacement decision. Sometimes I would actually just leave the store for home, tears streaming down my face, frightened by the phenomena I was experiencing.

That's as far as I want to get into this insidious condition today, but there is one more thing. I find that when there is a sudden weather change, it returns in full force and not just with the big changes that come with the four seasons.

Take yesterday (Saturday) for instance. I was unable to even leave the house yesterday as every joint, every muscle group, was in agonizing pain. Kim had gone to the Cities to visit her folks. It was a good time for her to be gone.

When she came home last night, she aked if there was any way I could pinpoint why this is happening to me at this particular juncture.

Until I came over to the office to work on this blog, I didn't realize just how cold and damp it had gotten yesterday. I suspect the sudden weather change is the culprit.

Fortunately, I have an MD who is sympathetic to my pain and supplies me with two different kinds of pain medication, making it a bit more tolerable.

wrapped in two blankets, I watched the Packers pound the Seahawks in pre-season. It helped my psyche to see how this young team is pulling together so rapidly.

Looks like we may even have a kick-off punt-returner in Wil Blackmon who ran one back some 80 yards last night.

Oh, I know. It's just pre-season, but I see good things! Bubba is catching the ball again. Cullen Jenkins is an animal!!! Our linebackers can match up with the best in the league. Aaron Rodgers is playing with a confidence i had not seen before.

I just want this to be a great year for Brett. He has done so much for the state's psyche over the years. He's enough to make me forget just how much my body hurts.

GO, PACK, GO!

No comments: