HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, August 11, 2007

See Ya Later I'm Gone in the Big Tamater

Today's blog is dedicated, in part, to "The Big Tomato", a work van that I bought from an Augusta florist after he went out of business This was a number of years ago, I was younger, and gas prices were not as outrageous as they are now.

I took it immediately to my mechanic, Lyman, to have the engine and drive train checked out. It was music to my ears when he told me that the van powerplant is a "little straight six" , the same kind that are used in UPS delivery vans and "that she'll run forever".
She came through with flying colors and in turn, I took her over to my favorite painter/body man Trubilt Autobody for removal of some minor rust and touch up.

While she was being washed and buffed, the crew dubbed her The Big Tomato and I thought that sounded like a song title!
It wasn't too long after that and I had penned a song that, because of its lyrics, is a great closer. I eventually recorded it on my second CD: "Irish Heart":

-- See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Heading East on Highway 94
See ya later I'm gone in the Big tamater
She's gonna roll 'til I reach my own front door

Gotta little straight six that's gonna run forever
Gonna drive her til I play in your home town
gotta little straight six that's gonna run forever
When I open the hood I can even see the ground

See ya later, I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Heading South on Highway 53
See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Don't ever think you ever seen the last of me

I don't need no break down air conditioning
Side vent windows help me keep my cool
buildin' my upper body just by steering
and power brakes are just the devil's tool

So I'll see ya later, I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Heading North on Highway 53
See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Don't ever think you ever seen the last of me!

Got no radio all they do is chatter
Makes her own music just boogeyin' down the road
There's seats for you and me, that's all that matters
Sound and lights, they all make up the load

See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
Headin' west on Highway 94
See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
She's gonna rolll til I reach my own front door

See ya later I'm gone in the Big Tamater
You're in my heart wherever I may roam
See ya later I,m gone in the big Tamater
C'mon Big Red, bring me safely home
C'mon Big Red, bring me safely home!

Imagine my shock to be listening to Click 'n Clack on public radio of a Saturday morning and to hear "The Big Tamata" being used as segment transition music on the show one day!

It took my head three days to reduce the swelling.

Last night I helped Radio 106.7 party hearty at an outdoor barbeque in honor of their 10th Anniversary. We followed Jerry Lemke's Little Big Band. When I say "we", I mean my good friends Tim Keilholtz and Gary Spaeth, who sat in with me for about a fifty minute set. By then the right knee was biting me real hard!

So I want to extend a personal thanks to Tim and to Gary as none of us got pay and Gary had already put in a set as a regular member of Jerry Lemke's band.

It was wonderful to hear Gary playing lead on that Gretsch Tennessean I bought and set aside for my son Jonathan. Man! He can play!

By the time I got back here to the office I was a sweaty dish rag!


_______________________________________________________________________

No comments: