HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Sports Shelf Has New Member

I had no sooner sat down to start writing today's blog when I heard the clomping of booted feet on my porch here at the office. I glanced out the side window just in time to see the retreating figure of the big man with the funny brown shorts who drives the big brown truck.

I instinctively knew what he had left me! And I was right.

The guys at Helmet Hut did an incredible job with the Bart Starr restoration project. Yesterday I had gone out to buy two plastic display cases for the "Holy Grails of Helmetdom", and of course, Scheels only had one.

I will say it again. Eau Claire needs a great big sign along side of the roads leading into town that say: WELCOME TO EAU CLAIRE. WE DON'T HAVE IT, BUT WE CAN GET IT FOR YOU.

So as you can see in the picture, my Brett Favre is encased and if you look down in the lower left hand corner of the case, there is a small plaque that reads: BRETT FAVRE - #4 - QUARTERBACK GREEN BAY PACKERS 1992 - 2007 THREE TIME NFL MVP FIRST BALLOT HALL OF FAMER

I have a similar plaque for the Starr helmet but no case to attach it to!

In addition to really looking great, the fresh paint job on the "new" helmet smells like a manly perfume!

_________________________________________________________

2 comments:

flcnhgtspckr said...

impressive helmets!

i was wondering -- should the starr helmet have a slightly different "G" than the favre? i noticed it at packersproshop.com

Travelins said...

mplspckr: You are indeed incredibly observant! The good and very talented folks at Helmet Hut are not allowed by NFL copyright to put the original (or new for that matter) logo on helmets that they re-condition. The correct logo for the "Bart" helmet is more elliptical -- pointier? than the present logo but since I had to find a source on my own, I had no choice but to go with the present logo. These can be found on eBay -- "pirated" logos tht are much heavier than the originals -- 20 mil as opposed to the 1960's which were much thinner and applied in two layers -- first the green background, then the white "G"