HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, June 2, 2008

Logo I Have Hunted For Years Finally Captured!


I have long been fascinated with the history of almost anything -- firearms, propeller driven aircraft, the military track-driven vehicles of World War II, and most recently, the history of the development of the football helmet and subsequently the use of face masks by the professionals who wanted to end their careers with at least some of their teeth in place.

That's why my relationship with Mr. Curtis Worrell and his fellow business partner, Mr. Jim Parker, of Warsaw, Indiana, has been one of real interest and excitement for me.

Today I found yet some more background reading on Mr. Worrell and rather than hashing it out with you, if you are interested, you can find it at: www.helmethut.com/Rich%20History.html.

What got me started today was the fact that I stumbled across a chance to buy the Washington Redskin Logo that had originally been developed by the late Vince Lombardi when he decided to coach the Redskins. (As you will notice, aong with the side logos, there is a burgundy stripe and an American flag included in the set of decals.)

Vince went to a yellow helmet with a white shield , burgundy tipped feathers and an"R" in the middle, reminiscent of the Packers helmets and jerseys, trading the dark green with burgundy.

Interestingly, the Redskins only wore that uniform one year before going back to the burgundy helmets. (author's note 6/6/08): Helmet Hut wrote to inform me that the yellow helmets were used for two seasons (1970 and 1971).

This past season was the Redskins 75th Anniversary and for the occasion, Helmet Hut provided the team with the throw back yellow helmets for a home game.

It just so happens that I have a yellow helmet that I was going to make into an additional Packer helmet but now that I have found the Redskin Logo - (which has been impossible to find for nearly two years!), I will probably make it into a "Lombardi Redskin" helmet.

What got me reading about Mr. Worrell of Warsaw was that I was trying to find out what would be the correct face mask for that helmet as worn in 1970.

Turns out they were all standard gray back then -- not "color coordinated" and I think I agree with Mr. Worrell that gray looks better.

I know this is getting to be a bit sickening, but the guys at Helmet Hut are like Gods to me!

This is the week I should be getting my Bart Starr shipped back from them. I got the "Can Hardly waits!"

__________________________________________________________________


_______________________________________________________________

No comments: