HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

No Country For Old Men -- Coen Brothers Do It Again

Is it mid-week already? That means summer's really here and Kim is really on vacation. We can stay up as late as we want because we can sleep as late as we want.

And with the weather the way it's been, it's rent some movies, make some popcorn, and listen to the rain and wind while we watch one or two.

Last night we watched "No Country For Old Men", directed by the Coen Brothers. The Coen Brothers have produced some of my favorite and strangest films. I can't get this one out of my mind.

One thing's certain. No way would I ever want to live in west Texas, even though I am a big Tommy Lee Jones fan (one of the movie's feature performers).

I have visited Texas twice. Once a long time ago, Kim and I went to the Padre Islands mid-winter. It was bright, sunny, and in the 70's and the ocean was beautiful.

It was the first time I got an earful of "Texas pride" from one of the locals. They are inordinately proud of their state. I'm not saying that's a sin of pride. Hell, I think most everybody thinks their home state is the best. I'm just not certain that we corner out of staters and brag on home ad nauseum.

My second trip was to spend time with Jon when he was living in Austin, having followed a woman down there so she could go to graduate school.

Again, I was struck mostly by Texas pride. The only state I know that flies a state flag larger than the national flag. I suppose my age has something to do with it as well. Rented a car at the Dallas airport and drove to Austin. Man, I hate driving in big cities. I don't even like Minneapolis/St Paul.

But I digress.

"No Country For Old Men" is not for the faint of heart. Tommy Lee Jones does his usual excellent job playing a local sheriff. In fact, all the actors are excellent.

However, the Coens outdid themselves in casting Javier Bardem as Anton Chigurh, a cold blooded murderer, the Devil incarnate. His performance alone is worth the $3.50 rental.

I could go into a long discussion of murder weapons alone, but that would spoil your "fun". Rent it.

____________________________________________________

No comments: