HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Friday, December 14, 2007

Finding Country Addresses in the Dark -- and Cursing Convection Ovens


Later this afternoon I am off to Menomonie to be a part of Dr. Danny Wood's staff Christmas party being held at his home off the Red Cedar River, not too far from Irvington.

Dr. wood is a great fan of mine, having hired me to play at his office anniversary party a few years back, an occasion at which he presented me with a hand made "TJ Edwards" measuring device and fish cleaning board, complete with a clamp to hold the fish's tail.

I was much taken that he would go to such lengths! (There's a very bad pun in here somewhere, but let's not get a hernia in search of).

Since winter is upon us and the days are so short, I will be searching for the party by a fire number after dark -- always a challenge. These are the times that I am thankful for cell phone technology. Knowing me, I will be within 500 yards of my goal and like a tourist lost in a snow storm, I will just keep circling and circling while the panic grows.

He called yesterday to inform me that the house is equipped with a convection oven. they are great inventions and make your baking come out very evenly browned, but they also present as problem.

In the back of the oven is the convection "blister", containing the circulation fan and making it impossible for me to get my 16 inch backing stones fully inserted into the oven. Oh, you can get the stone in, but then you can't close the door all the way.

I had encountered one before and limped through the evening by keeping one hip against the oven door, FORCING it to be almost closed.

Fortunately, Dr. Wood informs me that he has two 12 inch stones of his own that I can use. Unfortunately, this means rolling out a dozen 12 inch pizzas instead of six 16 inch pizzas. But: ADAPT, ADOPT, DIVERSIFY. That's my motto.

Maybe I will take my camera along and get some photos of the guests (and the pizzas). Sadly, over the years I have made so many pizzas for my own consumption, that I no longer enjoy my pizzas. When I crave pizza, I go to Sammy's, which I never tire of -- Kim thinks I am goofy.

My friend Tom Johnson (aka "Blinky") came up with a delightful combination pizza: Italian sausage and jalepeno stuffed green olive! That is what is pictured on today's blog.

____________________________________________________________________

Did some reading yesterday in the St Lous newspapers sports page. Mark Bulger, who has been out with a concussion for the past two weeks, may be well enough to start sunday against the Pack. the St Louis rags seem to think this will give the Rams a much needed boost.

If he plays, it will give the Packer secondary a decent test. We will see how Atari holds up. Personally, as you know, I am a Rouse fan!

P.S.

Remember how I was talking about "political correctness" the other day? The latest groaner, as far as I'm concerned, was when the owner of the Atlanta Falcons was asked if he would consider having Michael Vick back after his jail term and the owner said something like: "It depends upon if he stays in condition. If he eats a lot of fried chicken and fries ..."

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! He said "fried chicken"! Unblievable!!

Here's my politically incorrect observation for the day: Afro-Americans (is that pc enough?) must have their own baby naming book. Atari Bigby. Atari? His mom must have played a lot of "pong" as a girl growing up in Jamaica.

Not funny, Larry, you Mick. You drunken Irish bastard.
_________________________________________________________________________________

No comments: