HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

More Than Just a Brush With Greatness: Perla Batalla

Sometmes I forget how very fortunate I am to have found my way into my life's work. Let's set aside the wonders of performing for appreciative audiences, the warmth of stage lights, the camaraderie of being surrounded by musicians whose talents are far and above my own as a guitar player, the ever-fresh excitement of playing a new venue, the respect garnered from really good people who think that I have something of value to offer an audience, and concentrate today on real artists for whom I have been fortunate to have served as opening act.

I could rattle off a list of some pretty impressive names, but you can read about them elsewhere on my site under "brushes with greatness". Don't misunderstand. Those occasions were exciting, but I canot say that they were personal to me, because they were, as I said, nothing more than brushes with greatness.

There is one artist, however, that I will always hold dear to my heart, not only because she has an incredibly expressive voice and really knows how to relate to an audience, but is the most down-to-earth gracious woman I have ever been privileged to meet and actually share a little time with.

Perla Batalla might not be a "household" name to many, but those of us who have heard her sing will never forget her. I have been following her career though her website (www.perla.com) ever since I was honored with the responsibility of opening for her at The Stone's Throw in Eau Claire many years ago.

I was at the club for sound check the afternoon she arrived and as soon as she walked in the room, everyone there knew they were in the presence of greatness and authenticity. She looks you right in the eye when she speaks to you and there is no doubt that she really is interested in you as a person.

I remember that it was about this time of year when she came to Eau Claire, having flown in to the Twin Cities and coming with her band to the show by rental car. We, as Wisconsin folk, know what a paradise this state is when at last the snow is gone, the temperatures are in the mid 60's by day, and we have had those first slow, soaking rains, that seemingly overnight turn everything emerald green.

Perla is a California woman and she was struck with the beauty she observed on the drive down from the airport. Perla's openness and warmth led me to ask her road manager if Perla and she would like to stay overnight at my "office" bungalow rather than face the sterility of yet another night in a hotel.

I was surprised and delighted when they both accepted my invitation and I told them it was a deal then, but only if I could make them one of my pizzas after the show.

Perla's show was riveting. She has an ability to move flawlessly from one emotion to another. I had planned on catching just a few tunes and then heading home to start pizza preparations, but I couldn't leave.

When my guests arrived, the fresh basil and fresh tomato pizza was in the oven. Suffice to say we had a great hour or so visiting over pizza and as I made my way over to the house afterwards in the dark, I think the glow I had probably lit up the entire neighborhood.

In the morning there were made-from-scratch buttermilk pancakes and then they were gone. Gone physically, perhaps, but Perla's memory is alive and well within. Want to experience Perla's incredible voice? You can order her CD's right from her website at www.perla.com. And I hope I am not being too bold in suggesting that your first purchase be: The Bird On A Wire: Perla Batalla, The Songs of Leonard Cohen". Cue up the title song, put on some really good head phones and prepare to be moved deeply!

Perla, wherever you are performing tonight: I love you!

No comments: