HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Compiled blogs

It's early Saturday afternoon, May 12, and I am already starting to feel the adrenaline that gathers on the day of a show starting to pump into my system as I go over the inventory of what I will need to do the show tonight at The Coral Bowling Lanes , Schofield, Wisconsin.

This summer's supply of wood tick tee shirts arrived yesterday, so in addition to bringing CD's, I will be loading them up to peddle as well.

Tonight's show is being billed as a "Mother's Day" show .."bring your mother out for an evening of comedy". My own mother, little Alice, who died not so long ago, is heavy on my mind this weekend. I have so my great memories of a great little lady. I used to go over to the farm on that big old Harley Fatboy and take her out for long, slow rides through the rural countryside south of the farm where we could drink in the soft sweet smell of wisconsin Spring and watch as wild turkeys, pheasants, and deer crossed in front of us.

Alice was a wonder. When I was a boy she would be a part of the feeding and milking of the cows and then somehow when we all came up to the house, she would have waiting for us a hearty feast of home made buttermilk pancakes, home made pork sausage, scrambled eggs, fresh milk from our own dairy, thick with cream on the top, and her own home made biscuits.

It is from her and her family's lineage that I got my talent as a musician as all the Wetzels were players. When she was a girl, Alice was in an orchestra with her four sisters. she played violin. I wish she had kept at it. I never heard her play.

She was/is so proud of me. she used to come out and listen to the band every time we played of a Sunday down at T.J.'s Inn in Downsville where we set up the sound system and jammed all afternoon for the right reason: to make music! Didn't get paid. Well, yes, we did. John Widmar kept us in pitchers of beer and sandwiches. Good times! Great memories!

No comments: