HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, April 2, 2009

SURPRISE! SURPRISE! GRANDPA ANS WAS AN INNKEEPER

Here's an interesting (to me, anyway) piece of Chippewa Valley history that was forwarded to me by Jerry Way. It is a part of a program from the Rex Theatre and if you have really good eyes or an immense magnifying glass maybe you will be able to decipher the advertisement on the right half of the page. It is an invitation to stay at "The Ottawa", a hotel that was owned by my grandfather, Anson Heagle.

Let's see if my 67 year old, glasses assisted vision can make out what the advertisement says:


STOP AT THE OTTAWA
FIRST CLASS ALWAYS
EUROPEAN OR AMERICAN PLAN
BEST MEALS 50 CENTS
ROOMS $1.00 to $1.50
A MODERN HOTEL
YOUR PATRONAGE SOLICITED
ANSON HEAGLE, PROP.
CHIPPEWA FALLS, WIS.

Now, of course, I am trying to remember where Jerry said this was found. I think he said someone found it when they began tearing out walls during renovation.

I knew that my Grandpa Heagle was quite a "wheeler dealer" in his day. He ran a saw mill in Gilman and sold farm real estate. I did not know until Jerry sent me this that he was also an innkeeper. Pretty cool logo! And I like the name as well. Maybe I should return to my roots and start a folk singing trio and call ourselves "The Ottawans".

_______________________________________________________

No comments: