HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

PAUL HORNUNG -- LEATHER HEAD? NO WAY, YOU SAY?

While meandering around the internet checking out different sites that deal with the history of the American football helmet, I stumbled upon these photographs.

Unless I am sadly mistaken, the dude in the leather helmet in the two lower color photographs is none other than "The Golden Boy", Paul Hornung, playing his college football at Notre Dame. I smile to realize that Paul is so old that he played wearing a leather helmet with NO FACE MASK!

Also worth noting is that when he joined the professional ranks with Green Bay, he wore the same color jersey and touted the same number five.

With another birthday looming on the horizon, I just yesterday ordered a Paul Hornung home jersey though my pal Harv Harvison in the Philippines. He manufactures incredibly authentic weighty 50's and 60's style jerseys and just this year has begun carrying the Packer deep green home jerseys. I have two of the "away" white jerseys in my closet - a Ray Nitschke and a Don Chandler.
Anybody remember who Don Chandler is? He played a significant role in helping defeat the Oakland Raiders in Super Bowl II.

No comments: