HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Thursday, April 9, 2009

NITSCHKE PROJECT COMPLETE - HELMET, CORRECT FACEMASK ADDED

THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT THE PACKERS OF THE 1960'S THAT MAKES THEM EVEN BETTER THAN THE PACKERS OF SUPER BOWL XIII. And it isn't just because they are the Packers of my youth.


Yes, Brett Favre will probably go down as the BEST QB the Packers ever had. But I disagree. I am and always will be a devoted Bart Starr fan. Starr is a man of quiet dignity and he accomplished something Favre never did -- back to back MVP's of the first two Super Bowls.

But today I salute the king of defense - the man most feared on the playing field in those days -- Mr. Ray Nitschke.
Ray had an uncanny ability to be where he needed to be to make a game turning play. How many times did he intercept a key pass in a playoff game? I still see him clearly in the 1965 Championship game against the Cleveland Browns - fully extended, tipping a pass from a would be receiver in the end zone to save us 6 points.

That is why my most recent helmet project was an attempt to recreate his helmet. I had a great time in the process. First, for true afficiandoes. I know that he did not wear a Rawlings helmet - he was a Riddell man. If youi ever go to Green Bay, walk through the hall of fame and you will find one of his helmets - the one that has a spike through it. fortunately Ray wasn't wearing it at the time when a pole fell and landed on it!
If you ever see his autograph you will find that you can read his name clearly. He said that if someone thought enough of him to want his autograph, the least he could do was to write it legibly.
As I said, I really had a great time with this project. finding the right color paint was a challenge and I love the color description on the spray can I finally ended up using: "OLD CATERPILLAR YELLOW". (and that's not as in the larvae stage of abutterfly but rather the color of the earth moving caterpiller.

No comments: