HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, September 29, 2008

Baking Bread Continues -- With Autumn Near, Can Home Made Soup Be Far Behind?

Still very much into trying different recipes from my new bread book. The "sticky caramel rolls" pictured are just incredible with a good strong cup of coffee in the morning. I almost doubled the amount of butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon called for and the result was what you see -- a wonderfully stick-to-your-fillings chewy caramel topping that stays with you long after the bread part has been swallowed!
Although I have never been much of a whole wheat fan, I am giving it another try as witnessed by the above loaf which I just pulled from the oven less than 20 minutes ago.

It calls for a half cup of honey to offset some of the bitterness that can be found in whole wheat flour.

It was the right kind of morning to be baking bread -- cold and wet. However, I just set foot outside the office to get some stove wood to take the chill off the office before I jump in the tub or a long bubble bath soak and the sun has come out! Looks like maybe Kim and I will be able to get a bike ride in yet today.

The first thing I noticed when I got outside the door was the cacophony of the grackles -- this is one of the first sure signs that summer is over -- the birds are beginning to assemble for their long flights south. Man! They can make a racket!

____________________________________________________________

No comments: