HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back In The Kitchen Again -- Feels Good!

In peparation for a two day visit from my mother-in-law, Joy, and my sister-in-law, Kristi, last night I became inspired enough to make up some of my lasagna.

I dug through the cupboards and finally located my chrome plated pasta machine. I then proceeded to make two small dough balls consisting of bread flour, salt, an egg, a tablespoon of water and a dash of good grade olive oil.

I generally follow the cookbook you see pictured ( "Mama D's Italian Cooking With a Pinch") -- a wonderful woman who ran Sammy D's Restaurant in Dinkeytown, near the U of Minnesota campus, Minneapolis.

I first discovered that restaurant while I was working various clubs nearby. I don't know whether it is till in existence. I will google it upon concluding this writing to see if it is.
Anyway -- I digress. I say I "generally" follow her recipes, but I make my own noodles from scratch as there is nothing more succulent and delicious than a home made, slow cooked noodle -- they literally melt in your mouth! what's more, baking the pan of lasagna ahead of time and then allowing it to sit, refrigerated overnight, gives all the ingredients a chance to meld and get to know one another intimately.

Mama D's meat/ricotta cheese mixture, which is layered, uncooked in the lasagna, is just the best -- redolent of garlic and a touch of oregano.

I also made a lemon bunt cake and bought a loaf of garlic studded artesan Italian bread to go with the lasagna and the tossed salad that will be served this evening.

MANGIARE! (WISH I KNEW THE CORRECT DECLARATORY!)

_________________________________________________________

Googled Sammy D's and found no listing but there are a number of Italian restaurants in the Minneapolis area under the D'Amico and sons umbrella and I would venture to guess that these are offspring of Mama and Sammy D.

Of course, this is just me guessing. I very well may have to do some culnary research next time I am in the Cities.

_________________________________________________________

Time to scrub out the office bathtub (which hasn't been used since the end of school) and get my bubble bath/soak in before our company arrives.

Packer football is less than a week away!

GO PACK, GO!

No comments: