HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, September 1, 2007

River Benders -- Prodigious Pickers, Hot Harmonies -- All That And They Write

Just so you know. The arts are flourishing in the valleys Mississippi and Chippewa. I don't get out much anymore. Without a nap mid-day, I'm asleep in front of the TV by 8PM.

Last night I got out because there was money involved. But I knew it was going to be a lotta fun too because I had worked with two of The River Benders in a previous life. Brian "Woody" Schillinger, (on your right with the Gibson 335) and I used to share the stage at O'Leary's Pub for many a year and oft, taking turns following each other.

Brian is a very skilled finger style acoustic guitarist, a great singer, songwriter, and he knows his way around a Strat and a 335.

Mac Cherry, on the left, besides being the owner and driving force behind The Big River Theater, is a left-handed picker who doubles on mandolin and guitar. I had worked for him once before and didn't exactly pack the place but Mac and I had fun anyway as he joined me singing glorious harmony on "Irish Heart".

The Michelle in the Middle is really Patty and I wish I had a brain because I can't remember her last name or the first and last name of her husband who plays bass in the band. My apologies to the drummer as well. Damn! It's hell getting old! Should have written it all down last night! I just wanted to tell everyone who reads this that Patty has a fantastic singing voice as can be attested to by audience response friday night.

Back in the corner on the right, mostly obscured by Brian's Gibson 335, is Rick Sampson, premiere five string banjo and mandolin player in the midwest. He played some tasty thirds on banjo above "Woody's" lead guitar notes, producing a sound combination I found intriguing.

The River Benders are a great band. Their clean harmonies and their overall tightness leads me to believe two things: they love what they're doing and they practice a lot!

If you make the run down to Alma for the arts festival, you can catch The River Benders out there in the early afternoon. Heck, I might even drop in after I finish my set at the Old Time Farm Fest up the hill on Highway 95 just out of Fountain City town. Get out there and enjoy late summer. How's that song go: I laid around and played around this old town too long, summer's almost gone --

_____________________________________________________________________

No comments: