HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, September 17, 2007

Oktoberfest Throws Its Worst and Best Weather At Us


Didn't realize until I looked at the date of my last post that I have been very derelect in my duty. I plead really busy and there ain't nuthin' wrong with that!

Pictured is my son Jon and I preparing to leave for Sunday afternoon's gig at the Chippewa Oktoberfest. Jon is not really much of a football or sports fan, but he humored me on this Packer sunday and we will take full credit for the 35-13 win over the Giants, which we did not see but got scoring reports of during my show from 1-3 on sunday afternoon.

But I am getting ahead of myself. Festivities really began at Oktoberfest this past friday as I was scheduled to do comedy from 1-3:30 and then work with my band from 4 -7PM.

If you don't recall last friday's weather then you weren't out standing on a stage with a cross wind of about 20 mph hitting you all afternoon. Friday's gig can be best summed up in one word: BRUTAL! I love performing -- I really do -- but this was a day that I thought would never end!
right thumb and forefinger so that I could grip the guitar pick. I was never anywhere near being warm. But I'll tell you this: Chippewa Falls folk and the folk from the surrounding area party hearty whether it is 95 degrees and humid, or as it was friday, in the 40's with a wind chill that put it below freezing. And they drink cold beer while the wind whistles through their lederhosen!

I was truly amazed at the number of people that showed up on friday. By the time the rest of the guys joined me for the band sets, the seats were pretty much filled and we gave them our all.

Jon and I had worked up Red Volkhart's "It's a Minor Thing" and sprung it on the rest of the band without rehearsal and it cooked!

I haven't had much experience with playing blues in a minor key but it was really fun and very dramatic sounding. I was glad we did it because it gave the crowd a chance to hear what Jonathan can get out of a guitar -- and on a cold, windy afternoon, at that.

We had so many really nice people show up and visit with us. A particular hello to Larry from Larry!

And you know the band has had its share of Oktoberfest cold delicious when the song "Red River Valley" is followed by "Smoke on the Water"!

(What's really weird is I don't even know "Red River Valley"). Know what? the audience could tell.

Sunday afternoon was like paradise compared to friday. the sun was out, the temps were up and the winds were down. Jon backed my original tunes on acoustic guitar and got his props from the audience. He was getting rounds of applause after solos and the acoustic guitars really sounded good together -- but then I am prejudiced because I am an acoustic guitar kinda guy.

It was a real joy to have Jon here for what seemed like ten minutes but was really thursday through this morning. I got a chance to cook for him and make his favorites: popovers, pizza, buttermilk pancakes, and we saved sunday night for a trip out to Mike's smokehouse and wallowed in those great racks of ribs.

When I went to meet Jon upon his arrival in Minneapolis, I made the mistake of going into the parking lot. It wasn't until after I parked the car that I realized it had been a long time since I have been to the Minneapolis airport and holy moley! That sucker is huge!

We spent a good part of the afternoon just getting back to the vehicle and out of town. But we learn by doing. This morning I dropped Jon at the incoming gate and didn't park at all.

Now I will be dealing with airports again come tuesday, September 25 when I fly one way out of Milwaukee to NYC to hook up with my friend Tom Johnson who is renting a U Haul van and we are co-driving back to Wisconsin by sunday or monday. I know I have to be back by wednesday because I am doing a "songwriter's night" with Mike Quick and Mike Jerling at Jake's supper club outside of Menomonie on Tainter Lake.

It's a great supper club, known for its prime rib, so maybe I'll see you there!


_________________________________________________________

No comments: