HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Saturday, September 8, 2007

Popovers -- My Friend Gerald Dubbed Them Golden Goddesses

Is there anything more satisfying and comforting on a cool autumn's morning than a giant popover, hot out of the oven, vertically ripped asunder to allow the billowing steam to escape, painted with softened sweet cream butter and served up with a strong, hot cup of joe.? Right now, as I devour my second, I would have to say no.

More and more as I age, I am beginning to understand the musicians' mantra of "less is more". Popovers sometimes accompany beef dinners, but I think they are less appreciated competing with other foods. When my sons Jonathan and David visit me they request two things: pizza and POPOVERS (or as we like to call them: "Laplanders")

Here's my recipe for two:

equipment needed:

some sort of popover cups (if you have none, it's experiment time. It took me years to find what I use: small ceramic flower pots)
I am currently having some custom made for me at Carridori Pottery on Ferry Street in Eau Claire. He does excellent work.You can reach him at 715-835-8860

can of Baker's Joy (No stick Baker's spray (contains flour in spray)

Ingredients for two:

one FRESH egg (large)
one half cup bread flour
one half cup FRESH milk
1/3 tsp salt 1 tablespoon sugar (I like mine sweet!)
1/2 tsp cooking oil

Sift the four, sugar, salt into a small mixing bowl
crack and add the egg, whole
pour in the milk
Add the 1/2 tsp cooking oil

Usng a dinner fork, mix the ingredients until just not lumpy -- not more!

Lubricate your popover cups with the Baker's Joy
pour the batter equally into each cup.
Set in oven on high rack, second level from top
put the popovers in a cold oven

Turn oven to 400 degrees -- bake about twenty five miinutes -- actually your nose will tell you when they are close to done. I like to leave mine in until really dark golden brown!

Remove to a serving plate, immeditely tear open to llow steam to escape
fill cavity with your choice. I love honey or a good quality blueberry jam and of course good Wisconsin butter.

1 comment:

flcnhgtspckr said...

thanks for the recipe

i remember popovers at stafne's sunset inn -- pretty darn good.

great blog by the way!