HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Green Bay Packers Go Three and Oh My! I'm A Believer!

I am still euphoric over today's Packer victory. I think the whole state of Wisconsin was collectively holding its breath since yesterday morning, wondering how the spinach and mustard would fare against the thunderbolts from the west coast.

Tomlinson was making noises about achieving a one hundred yard day in rushing and all the pundits were picking the Chargers to win by four points.

I had to overcome my own separate angst when my Directv dish, the smaller of two I recently installed, and of course the one that would be providing the CBS signal out of LaCrosse, went kaput yesterday when there was no one available to even come out and look at the damn thing so today I spent the first quarter at Buffalo Wild Wings.

I left there because nobody knows how to shut the hell up and really get into watching the game. I have watched Packer games in Green Bay at the Stadium View and there they know how to watch a game. As soon as the station comes back from commercial break, all talking ceases and all eyes are on the game and the only sounds are the cheering or sounds of dismay that erupt following each play.

Not only that, Buffalo Wild Wings has the absolute audacity to run both the Packer game and the Viking game on big screens right next to each other. As a result, I had a Viking fan climb onto the bar stool next to me. I couldn't bear his incessant commentary, apparently to himself, so I left for Sammy's pizza which was nearly empty and the only game on was the Packer game.

Earlier in the morning, I had put in a telephone call to my buddy Wil Denson about watching the game with him at his house, and eventually I got a call from him to come on down, so I watched the second half from the comfort of an overstuffed couch.

A few calls from Coach McCarthy I found dubious -- like going for it it on 4th down near mid-field, and then later, after not being able to punch it in from inside the five, failing to complete the pass on fourth down. Should have punted and on the second one, should have taken the sure three points.

But two spectacular plays, one by the offense and one by the defense made all that go away. (Thank you Gregg Jennings and welcome back, and Nick Barnett, you are an animal!) You gotta love the way the team keeps getting stronger each week and playing to their own strengths while awaiting the arrival of any kind of a running game.

Tomorrow I will be on my way to Milwaukee to catch a flight to New York City on Tuesday -- this means I need a good night's sleep tonight but I am in doubt as to whether I will get it with visions of Brett dancing with Donald Driver on his shoulder in my sleep.

Three and Oh sounds Oh so sweet to me!


________________________________________________________________

Due to my extended trip to New York City, I don't know when the next blog will be written. Just so you know.

1 comment:

flcnhgtspckr said...

Go Pack Go!

I've had problems for years here in Minneapolis trying to watch Packers games: No packer audio (video only), vikings on big screen, packers on small monitors, vikings fans, etc.

So, this year I got DirecTv with Sunday Ticket. It is great! (Did have a little glitch week 1 vs. eagles when they cut the game right before game-winning field goal, though. Thankfully, we had AM radio back-up).