HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, June 27, 2010

VERY PLEASED WITH SEAGULL SM12 SOUND

Hey, guitar gear heads! This is my Seagull SM12 twelve string guitar that I was able to practically "steal" during some horse trading at a big guitar dealership which shall remain anonymous. When I first acquired it, it sat around the house for almost a year before I finally bought a set of d'Addario phosphor bronze lights for it.

After stringing it up and getting the tuning and stretching and retuning out of the way, I was truly amazed at how much this supposed "low end" guitar puts out not only in volume but in exquisite ringing tone.

Let's see -- in the past I have owned a Guild 12'er, a Martin D-12-35, and a big old Harmony Sovereign 12 string - and although each of those was special in its own way, none of them can equal this guitar in a couple of areas.

First off, this is the first 12 string guitar that I have owned that consistently stays in tune. Anyone who has owned a twelve string guitar knows what a nightmare it is to keep in tune - for an entire song, much less an entire set! but the Seagull discovery of "straight line" tuners truly makes a difference in keeping the instrument true.

Secondly, maybe it is just this guitar, but it has a really even, shimmering sound when strummed - from the highs to the mids to the lows - it is all there!,

Ordinarily I steer clear of guitars that do not have solid wood all round. However, this SM12 has cherry laminate back and sides and it still has a really commanding voice, not thin in the least.

After putting the new set of strings on her I got so excited that I taught myself the chord progression for Gordon Lightfoot's "The wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", a very haunting chord structure just made for backing with a 12 string. I found the lyrics and there are too many, but Lightfoot's poetry is excellent!

Should really memorize it. After all, Wisconsin gets a mention!

________________________________________________________________

A GRAND DAUGHTER'S PRAYER

Dear God, please send clothes
for all those poor ladies
on grandpa's computer.



_______________________________________________________________

1 comment:

Duke said...

Wow, sounds like you really lucked out with the 12-string. A nice one will have a special sound. Try Allman brothers Melissa on it - it should should nice also.

Yes, Lightfoot is a poet and I'm glad to hear you've learned the F. Scott Fitzgerald.

strum on mi amigo!