HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, January 21, 2008

That's The Way The Old Ball Bounces -- Go G-Men!

I slept inordinately late this day after disaster in Green Bay. I guess I just didn't want to face the day. It was one of those mornings when you awaken and realize that something that happened the day before (an automobile accident? a death in the family?) is not a bad dream but in fact, a fact.

As I stumbled about half awake, I wondered how awful Brett must feel today upon awaking, if he slept at all last night. I replayed parts of the game in my head, playing the "if only" game in my head.

Truth is, there is no taking away from the magnificent season this young football team managed to put on the board with the old master leading the way.

The New York Giants deserve to be in the Superbowl. Believe me, they outplayed the Packers yesterday. They completely shut down Ryan Grant who came away with 19 yards rushing. And Eli handled the cold magnificently. He was calm and collected. Same for Plaxico Burress who made some amazing catches!

So on to the Superbowl for the G-Men. I will be cheering for them all the way.

Know what I think today? the real Packer heros of yesterday's game were the 72 thousand some fans who braved that weather and kept up the "G Force" noise the entire game. Green Bay Packer fans are the greatest!

I can't imagine how cold that ride back from Green Bay was on the many buses that made the trip. My hat is off to the fans!

Now I read this morning that Brett will quickly make a decision about whether he wants to go through all of this again next year. Selfishly, of course, I want him to continue to play. But it will be completely understandable if he decides to retire at this point. He, more than anyone, knows how difficult it is to get to the Superbowl and I don't know if he has anything left to give. If he does retire, he will have done so with nothing to prove. Not to us or himself.

He is truly legendary -- interception or not!

No comments: