HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, January 28, 2008

Thank God For Warm Spell And Honey Wagons

Thank God for a break in that terrible cold weather! Unfortunately it's not going to stay with us very long. Just long enough to dump some rain on us to freeze up on our county roads and porch steps.

Spent my last saturday wending my way down to the Wisconsin Dells area. I have never been enamored of that whole scene. too much of a P.T. Barnum atmosphere for my likes.

Performed for The Wisconsin Liquid Waste Carriers Association banquet. That's right -- the boys with the "honey wagons". Another case of how does one choose this as one's life's work. Do you just wake up one day and say: "Yeh, that's it! I want to suck human urine and excrement into a big tank truck for a living!"

Believe me -- It takes a special kind of person. I have been nearby when the man pops that big cement cover and your nose fills with the steam and fermentation of a hearty load. The kind of smell that Kim and I refer to as a "throat-coater".

It's one of the joys of being a country squire.

Starts me thinking about how much human waste must be generated in a city the size of New York City in just 24 hours!

At any rate, they were an appreciative audience - they obviously know good shit when they see and hear it.

It was held at Chula Vista Resort, which has really really morphed since my last appearance there. My God! It is an entire city unto itself, with underground walk ways and shops, water slides, swimming pools, restaurants and bars that serve (I found out) $7.00 margaritas.

Hell! That's New York City prices!

Luckily the house P.A. system was more than adequate and I didn't have to go through the logistics of finding the closest door to unload sound equipment and when I finished the show, it was throw the guitar in the back and head on out to Windsor (near Madison) for an overnight with my friends the Johnson boys, Stan and Tom.

They gave me a bed and bathroom in exchange for two of my pizzas for lunch on sunday.

Weird not to have a Packer game on the tube on a Sunday. Now begins the winter of our discontent! I am already near nausea over the mention of Tom Brady's name. YUK!

Certainly hope that the G-MEN can pull off an upset in the warmth of Arizona. Disappointed but not surprised that Brett has bowed out of the Pro Bowl.

Checking the clock I see I am 10 minutes away from my bank opening its doors so I'm outta here! Didn't sleep very well last night so I think it's nap time when I get back.

My friend Matt, in Itgaly sent me this one:

Very elderly gentleman, (mid nineties) very well dressed, hair well groomed, great looking suit, flower in his lapel smelling slightly of a good after shave, presenting a well looked-after image, walks into an upscale cocktail lounge. Seated at the bar is an elderly looking lady, (mid-eighties). The gentleman walks over, sits alongside of her, orders a drink, takes a sip turns to her and says, "So tell me, do I come here often?"


__________________________________________________________________

No comments: