HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

The Day Is Gone But The Dirty Dishes Remain

Today is one of those days when I feel like I have accomplished absolutely nothing. Thinking back on the preceding hours, I realize that I spent a goodly amount of time with a tech support gentleman for Clearwire - trying to set up an e mail account that would continue to use my e mail address.

When he finally convinced me that we could approach both of my computers individually without one affecting the other, I went ahead and folllowed his directions and finally got those problems ironed out.

Then he became really alarmed how little signal my clearwire modem is receiving here at 4888. I found out that things like having my cell on, the location of the telephone base, window coverings, all make a difference in how I would receive.

Because we basically live in a forest out here there are lots of obstacles to getting a clear signal. Last night I experimented with my modem by taking it over to the house and hooking it up way up in the loft where Kim has been receiving a very strong signal and -- wham! I was pumping signal like crazy!

But over here, with just one little floor, and all kinds of obstructions it's a different story.

What's really kinda weird and scary is this tech I'm talking to is located in Florida and he's telling me exactly where my modem is located, where the woods are, where my shed is, and that my bungalow is the last house on the dead end road!

So now I have optimized my system. It's still not great, but clearly beats the hell out of dial up any day of the week. I found the best spot for the modem is on my book case, looking out the window, with the venetian blind pulled all the way up (does this mean I can't sit around working at my desk in my underwear anymore????)

I have, in the process, distanced the phone base from the modem ro reduce interference.

I think the only other task I accomplished today was writing out some bills.

Oh! And I did get a return telephone call from Marilyn Hodges Woodward Garmin Freeman, a former student of mine who is living in Colorado Springs, Colorado, and making a living with various film projects as they come through in Colorado.

I had talked with her dad, Don at my show last friday night and he told me I should give her a call. I had tried several times and today I got heer through call waiting.

I am most proud of her and pleased to say that she graciously even gives me some credit for getting her started on her path in "show biz".

This is "get in touch with former students" week as friday I am meeting one of all time favorites for lunch --Mr. Kurt Weber, now of Minneapolis, Minnesota.

We haven't had a chance to really visit in a good long while!

_____________________________________________________________

The latest on Tiit Raid: Tiit and Ann are currently back at Mayo for some "consolidation chemotherapy" this week. The bone marrow readings are such that he didn't have to have further testing there -- he is at this point, cancer-free, and the consolidation is, as I understand it, to make certain that it stays that way.

Okay -- time to run the bills out to the mail box (now that the mail man is gone) and then its a steamy bath and some reading until Kim gets home from school. see yoou tomorrow!

No comments: