HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, January 6, 2008

Hosts of Deep River Supper Club Just The Best



When you work as many different venues as a traveling performer such as I do, you run into all kinds on the other side of the bar (or kitchen).

I remember setting up for a gig way out in western Minnesota for the Minnesota Pork Producers and the guy who ran the club took an instant dislike to me because, I guess, I asked too many questions about where and how I could set up equipment.

When I finally got my sound check done and the guests had still not arrived, I went to sit at the bar near the owner. He glared at me and said:

"I guess you think you're pretty hot shit, eh?"

Somewhat taken aback I replied: "Oh, yeah, I am REALLY hot shit. that's why I am working a banquet out here in the middle of no where!"

This was not the case this past Saturday night. Jeff and Sue, the fine young couple who are so capably running the Deep Lake Supper Club, were two of the nicest people I have had the honor of meeting recently.

They are originally from Ashland, have just gotten into the restauarant business about two years ago and they do a hell of a job!

The supper club is really cozy and wonderfully set high above and very close to the lake with big windows looking out across the expanse.

I could tell immediately that they were both genuine people -- very warm and helpful -- they immediately set me at ease and even volunteered their son to be a helper bringing my equipment in.

When the bankers began to arrive, it became even more evident that Jeff and Sue are very much appreciated b y the community.

And the food is GREAT! Where else can you get a dinner of "walleye cheeks"?

They insisted upon putting my drinks on the bank's tab (oh, very well) and their bartender, John, even though he's a Dallas Cowboy fan, did a great job of keeping the patrons' tanks near full.

so if you are ever traveling east on Highway 2 between Brule and Iron River, look to your right -- the road before you need to turn is Crystal Lake Road -- then you will see the turn off for Deep Lake --just follow the signs to a great dining spot with a beautiful view!

No comments: