HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

You Say Packrat, I Say Collector



Kim is convinced that I am a "packrat". I prefer to call myself a "collector". Seems to me that I read somewhere that people who are into collecting are intelligent people. then, again, I could have made that up just to feel good about myself. Today I am focusing on the "Green Bay Packer Shrine" here in my office.

all it needs now is votive candles, incense and incantations, such as the folowing:

Our Favre,

Who art in Lambeau,

Hallowed be thine arm.

The bowl will come,

It will be won.

In Phoenix as it is in Lambeau


And give us this Sunday, Our weekly win.

And give us many touchdown passes.

But do not let others pass against us.

Lead us not into frustration,

But deliver us to the valley of the sun.

For thine is the MVP, the best of the NFC,

and the glory of the Cheese heads,

now and forever.



AMEN

Hey -- that sounds like a pretty good idea considering that we are 10-1 and facing our arch-nemisis, the Dallas Cowpies (America's team --yeh, right) in just two days. Excuse me for a minute.

There -- the incense is burning. Just now, I have no candles but that can be added tomorrow to increase our mojo. It will also help to throw a "watch the game with manly-men" party Thursday night and I have that all set up as my pals Wil Denson and Tom Wieseler will be here and to really show the football gods that we are serious, Tom and Stan Johnson are driving all the way up from Madison to watch the game for there is strength in numbers!

Back to the shrine.

It all began innocently enough back in 1995 when I bought the Reggie White away (white) jersey at a mall in Milwaukee. You can see it on the top shelf (left) in a display box.

The other display box I suppose has no place being there in that it is a Jim Brown jersey, but what the hell -- Brown, as far as I am concerned, is the greatest ever running back in NFL history.

Directly in front of the Reggie jersey is a framed photo of our recent jaunt to Lambeau for the Carolina Panther game. Next to that is a Green Bay Packer team autographed football from the (gulp) Ray Rhodes team --sitting just beyond that is my treasured Packer helmet measuring tape that Tiit Raid gave me when he realized I was collecting.

Then there is the collection of Lombardis, the smallest of which is being remembered in prayer and song by the three singing nuns.

Next is the figurine of a leaping Ahman Green, a recent purchase that was at just too good a price to turn down. I really like the workmanship of that piece.

Directly behind the Lombardis is an actual piece of the frozen tundra, cut from the field that we beat the 49'ers on to go on to the Superbowl. Sitting atop thge tundra is one of four collector bobbleheads of Packer greats. This one contains Bart Starr and Jerry Kramer.

The others are Henry Jordan and Coach Lombardi, Willie Wood and the golden boy, Paul Hornung (whose autograph I have on a DVD about the Packers), and Ray Nitschke and Fuzzy Thurston.

The football just beyond Ahman Green is of no consequence -- just a football. The Brett Favre bobblehead next to it, however, is really a collector's item!

The Russian made Brett Favre "nesting egg doll" next to that was given to me by my good friend Tom Johnson who found it on the streets of New York.

The Packer helmet is made in authentic specifications. Just behind the helmet is the team photo for the 1995 NFC Champions.

Directly below the helmet is a photo of Brett and Bart Starr. What a great shot!! Below the photo is a 12 inch figurine (still in original packaging) of Brett Favre.

In the lower center you will see a framed Green Bay Packer 75th Anniversary patch along with some historic dates and explanations.

Oh -- and the Hawaiian "lei" I got at the Superbowl party back in '96.

No comments: