HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Monday, November 5, 2007

Thanks To Tom "Blinky" Johnson" -- Office Is Ready For Winter's Blast


I have been derelect in my daily blogging so here I am playing a little "catch up" today. Since Harley the cat's untimely accident and death I haven't really felt much like writing.

It was difficult enough to lose his sister Hannah 20 days previously, but now the house is eeriely empty and both Kim and I find outselves expecting to see or hear our little furry friends at any turn. it is going to take some getting used to.

We both vowed early on that these would be out last pets -- cats, as anyone who knows and loves them, come with their own baggage, including coughing up hair balls at inapproprite places (like your bedspread), vomiting freshly eaten food, and the never ending dander and shedding that goes with ownership, not to menton the daily emptying of the cat box(es), the continual purchase of bags of cat food and litter, and blah, blah, blah.

Veterianarian bills are not getting any cheaper either.

I have to admit, however, that I am toying with getting a furry secretary from the humane society for the office. If I can find myself a male, black cat that loves to chase mice, he will be in cat heaven at this little cottage as it is a constant battle, Spring and Fall, to keep the rodents at bay.

I would name him "Rochester" in honor of Jack Benny's trusty butler. But I suppose in these P.C. times that would be considered racist.

My good friend Tom"Blinky" Johnson -- the guy I helped move back from NYC to Madison where he is currently residing at his older brother's house near Windsor Golf Course -- called last week and asked if he could stay over night here at the office en route to Minneapolis to catch a flight to Tulsa, Oklahoma, where he was to meet with an 81 year old gentleman about ghost writing a book.

I was happy to have his company for the Packers glorious Monday night victory over the Denver Broncos two weeks ago. rather than have him drive his car up to the airport and leave it in long term parking, I volunteered to drive him up as it would give me a chance to visit my father-in-law at the Masonic Home while I was in town.

While he was here, we tackled six face cord of newly arrived fire wood for the stove in the office and we go Tom for being such a good sport and great help. This old man would never have gotten it done alone.

Everything went smoothly and this past Saturday night I did a pizza party for two very wonderful people in Sand Creek -- Paul and LuAnn Gilbert -- a surprise birthday party for Paul who turned 60 in September.

Just as I was finishing the "show" portion of the evening, my cell rang and it was Tom, informing me that he would be at the Ramada Inn down town, Eau Claire at midnight, having come down on the shuttle bus.

It timed out perfectly! I packed all my pizza gear from the party and rolled down highways 64 and 53 to make the rendezvous.

Yesterday (Sunday), Tom, Kim and I regaled ourselves in Packer jerseys, breakfasted at Perkins, and returned home just in time for the kick off of another barn burner game betweeen Green Bay and the Kansas City Chiefs.

What a great game! I don't know if my bad heart will last through this season!

But it sure is great to say: " Packers SEVEN AND ONE!


_____________________________________________________________

No comments: