HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Packers May Be Bounty Hunting -- Told To Stop Dancing As Well



It's Tuesday already! to the Packers that means it's Thursday in a regular work week. Every week the presssure increases as we get closer to sorting the wheat from the chaff.

At the game Sunday, the Packer kick off team attempted to start something new. After the ball was placed on the tee, they would all gather in the center of the field and start doing this goofy dance together.

As soon as I saw it, I didn't much like it as I felt it smacked of "cockiness". I also have never liked the whole idea of making football into show business. It is enough of a show without that crap. Or could it be I am just becoming a curmudgeon befitting my age?

Now I read today that the referees warned the Packer bench to knock it off or they would be penalized for "excessive celebration." Once warned about possible loss of yardage it quickly came to a cease.

Also, is it just me or are the referees attempting to be the "twelfth man" for the opponents this year?

Now I read that the league is accusing the Packer DB's of "bounty hunting" by offering reards to the front four if they hold them to one hundred yards of rushing or get so many sacks per game. This, it turns out is a no-no. We all remember back in the Forrest Gregg years when Charles Martin body slammed Jim McMahon to the turf long after the whistle had blown.

Well, the latest accusations, ast least, are not for trying to knock a player out of the game. It should be interesting to see what transpires. How do they go about proving such a thing?



I was out at Pick n' Save this morning doing some Thanksgiving shopping and ran across the new "Legends of Lambeau Collectors Edtion Bobble Head Sets". they are way cool! I bought all eight immediately. (Mr. Impulsive .. they are not cheap!) They are very well made and feature figures of Vince Lombardi, Henry Jordan (whose bald pate I covered with a mini Packer helmet), Willie Wood and Paul Hornung, Jerry Kramer and Ray Nitschke.

Above are my collections of Lombardis -- the nuns have to be bought separately.

Congratulations are in order for the Eau Claire University Blugold Football team. They pulled out a win over the St. Norbert's Golden Knights at St. Norbert's by a four point margin in really inclement weather with crosswinds of 34 mph.

since I was in green Bay that afternoon, I thought about going to the game, but once I got out in that wind at the Packer Hall of Fame I was really glad we opted to take it easy on Saturday.

The Blugolds face Bethel College this coming Saturday in the Twin Cities.


__________________________________________________

No comments: