HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN:

HELLO FROM EAU CLAIRE, WISCONSIN - merchants slogan: "We don't have it but we can get it for you."

Sunday, November 25, 2007

Packer Victory Makes Thanksgiving Extra Special

I hope that your Thanksgiving was as satisfying for you as mine was for me. Kim and I went up to Minneapolis on Wednesday night and visited with her dad before settling in at Joy's condo out on the lake.

Bob is doing fairly well at the Masonic Home since his severe stroke of about three years ago, but it is always as bit tough to visit with him, remembering how he once was.

Thanksgiving morning, I settled in front of the television for the game between the Packers and the Lions. I enjoyed it thoroughly until fourth quarter when the Pack seemed to let up on them and almost let them back into the game all the way.

Kim and her sister Kristi and her mom left for the Masonic Home before the game was over, so I drove out and joined them in time for Thanksgiving dinner which was served to us in a private room setting. Bob was in good spirits as he was always one who loved family holidays.

Kim and I returned home that evening. Friday I was up and at 'em, preparing for our second "Thanksgiving" Thanksgiving dinner that I wanted to throw for Tiit Raid in celebration of his returning home from chemotherapy. As of now, his leukemia is in total remission, so we really had something to be thankful for.

I prepared one of the best Thanksgiving dinners I have ever made -- It was a 12 pound turkey that came out very, very tender and juicy.

I had stuffed it with my own dressing, the recipe for which follows below. I also made a casserole dish full of baked yams, removed from their skins, mashed and then buttered and salt and peppered, fresh cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and a tasty plentiful gravy from the drippings.

We started with a tossed salad and giant popovers. The popovers were a big hit, if for no other reason than their size.

For dessert there was the cherry two layer cheescake I had prepared before leaving for the Cities on Wednesday, and a freshly made pumpkin pie.

Here is the recipe for Larry's dressing:

1/2 pound ground pork
fennel seed (1/2 tsp)
polaner garlic (tsp)
red pepper flakes to taste
salt, pepper

mix ingredients by hand, thoroughly. Brown in an oiled skillet, breaking up chunks

1/2 pound button mushrooms, fresh, sliced
1 small yellow onion, minced

add the mushrooms, onion, to the cooking sausage. cook down until most of liquid is evaporated.

Prepare one package Uncle Ben's Rice/wild rice, mushrooms and one package onion and sage dressing in separate covered pans

When they are prepared, add them to the ground pork sausage, mushroom mixture, toss thoroughly. Cool and then stuff bird with dressing. There will be extra. serve that as a casserole.

__________________________________________________________________

No comments: